CriticalCareVet
CriticalCareVet, ER/ICU Specialist
Experience:  Emergency and Critical Care Specialist
17828336

Hello,I have a problem my puppy is 3 and half months old since sunday morning she is vomit

Hello,I have a problem my puppy is 3 and half months old since sunday morning she is vomiting frequently and diarea,we have her in litlle vet office our vet says that she probably has jondance or parvo virus or maybe a bad infection. She lost most of her body weight im very worried because i read on internet about it what do you think i should do? thank you mark
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  CriticalCareVet replied 2 years ago.
Hi Mark - Welcome to JustAnswer! I am a licensed veterinarian and specialist and will do my best to assist you today!

Regarding your comments above, did your veterinarian do a test for Parvovirus?

What about a fecal examination or bloodwork?

-
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
examination was only visual as far as we know, he didn't say on the phone if he took any bloodwork, when i rang the vet earlier this evening around 6 o' clock he said that her colour has detoriated and she has symptoms of jaundice, he said if she gets worse she could develop (lasorosis? i think he said), she had blood in her vomit and in her diarea before we went back to the vets this morning,she was very weak
Thank you for your reply.

In a case such as this - if there is jaundice, bloodwork should be performed. This would tell you what the liver values are and what the bilirubin is.

This will tell you if there is a problem with any of these organs, which can be seen with canine infectious hepatitis or other viral disease.

Moreover, if there is a concern for parvovirus - there is a very easy, 10 minute test that will tell you if there is parvovirus or not. I am not certain why this has not been done yet - but you can read these links here for more information:

1) Parvovirus: LINK HERE

2) Canine infections hepatitis: LINK HERE

Please reply using the CONTINUE THE CONVERSATION button if more information is needed at any time.

Positive feedback (EXCITED FACE or 5 STARS) is appreciated as this is the only way I know you have received the information and I receive credit for my time.

Please remember to ONLY rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. IF you feel the need to rate "helped a little" or "I expected more", please stop and REPLY to me via the CONTINUE CONVERSATION button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek.

With this communication - we are here to guide you in making the best decision for your pet. This is for informational purposes only. We are not allowed to diagnose and prescribe medications - rather provide a course of action to speak to your veterinarian about - and any medical therapy and treatment should only be performed after an in-person examination with your veterinarian as a professional-client relationship has not been established on the site. While information may be discussed, this is not intended as an encouragement for you to self treat your pet, rather information online, and any treatment provided should only be performed after consulting your veterinarian.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

What do you think I should do? Should I take her out of where she is and try get her somewhere else or demand about the bloodtests? When I was speaking to the vet earlier he didn't seem too sure but said that as she was yellow that it would indicate jaundice. I felt like he was just guessing whats wrong with her and maybe treating her for wrong thing, I am just trying to do whats best for her and hopefully get her through this

Ideally, she should be in a facility with 24 hour care, fluids, monitoring, and testing.

If your vet can not provide the needed testing and treatment - yes, I would move her to another facility!

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

she getting fluids from IV, the clinic she is in has someone there from the morning till half 6 or so, she didn't improve since this morning she got worse since we left her in the vets, when I go back to the vet in the morning and ask if he done any bloodtests and if he says no should we take her out? would you recommend to transport her and if so what would be a suitable way to move her? what type of facility should we move her to as there are mostly vet clinics here, she is sleeping on shredded paper and her holding pen is lined with cardboard under the paper is that okay for her?

If there are no blood tests or parvo test performed, I would ask for them.

If they can not be done, yes - I would have her transferred to another facility as soon as possible.

Transport her in a carrier or crate.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
OK no problem thank you very much for all of your help it has given me some peace of mind and hopefully we are not too late
You are very welcome.

CriticalCareVet, ER/ICU Specialist
Experience: Emergency and Critical Care Specialist
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
In comparison to her illness and age what do you think her survival rate might be?
The survival will depend on diagnosis - but with good supportive care, especially with parvo - it is very good!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

and what about if she has jaundice as he said her skin going yellow indicates she has it, her eyes are yellow where it should be white, he checked her teeth, is it still possibile to transport her if she definitely has jaundice