Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, Interests: Dermatology, Internal Medicine, Pain Management
14008320

my one year old cockapoo (20 pounds) has the following symptoms:

2 days ago he vomited yellow, muscus-like bile 3 times
yesterday he pooped a normal stool, followed by very green diarhea; looked like leaves or grass were in it;
listless, sleeping more than usual, won't eat or drink, hangs head and cannot seem to get comfortable.

In contrast, he took a normal walk with us last night and seemed 'peppy' until he passed his stool/diarhea.

Changes in our home include: husband has been tiling the kitchen floor, using cememnt and grout; could ingestion of these materials in small amounts be the cause? Ingestion of various plants from our backyard???
Help, we are very worried and on a Sunday cannot take him to the vet.
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 2 years ago.
Welcome to JustAnswer! I would be happy to assist you. I am a 2003 graduate from UC Davis and a Medical Director of a veterinarian practice.

I am very sorry to hear how Perry is doing.
Whatever has occurred is impacting both his stomach and intestinal tract.
Yes, ingestion of plant material can most certainly induce bat gastrointestinal symptoms. Yes, ingestion of any tiling material could have made him ill. Although, some of it, I would imagine would have been visible in the vomit or diarrhea. Not sure about that, but do continue to keep a close eye on what is coming out of Perry.

Now, the green color in diarrhea. When the intestinal tract is out of balance and accelerated, proper metabolism of the food is not occurring. So, without question, Perry needs better supportive care.

Based on your description, would I encourage getting into a emergency vet? Yes

To help settle the stomach you can use of the following, but not as a replacement for veterinary examination include 1.Pepcid A.C. (famotidine) comes in 10mg, 20mg, or 40mg tablets.
You can give it every 12 hours. You can give 0.5mg per pound of body weight. So, a 20 pound dog would get 10mg.
2.Prilosec (omeprazole). It comes in 10mg or 20mg tablets.
You can give in every 24 hours. You give 0.5mg per pound of body weight. So, a 20 pound dog would get 10mg
3.Zantac (Ranitidne). It comes in 75mg, 150mg, or 300mg sizes.
You can give it every 8 to 12 hours. You give 0.25 to 1mg per pound of body weight. So, a 20 pound dog would get roughly 1/3 tablet of the 75mg. Even with bigger pets, it is easiest to get the smallest size tablet. Even a 75 pound dog would only need one 75mg tablet.
4.Pepto-Bismol or Kaopectate
You can give it every 8 hours. The average dose is 1ml per pound of body weight, and that is the TOTAL dose for the day.So, if a pet weighs 30 pounds, they would get a total of 30ml a day or 10ml every 8 hours. This is dosing for regular strength Pepto-Bismol. If you use maximum strength liquid, give half as much.

Bland Diet:
Although a veterinary examination is always going to be recommended, especially with vomiting episodes and/or diarrhea, here is a bland diet recommendation:
Boiled boneless, skinless chicken breast OR low-fat cottage cheese
And
Cooked white rice
*Never add on salt, pepper, oils, butter to any of the above
*Ideally, give 1/3 chicken or cottage cheese, and 2/3 white rice
Veterinarians will often prescribe some prescription bland diets as an easy alternative including
Science Diet I/D
*It is important to remember that if improving on a bland diet or prescription food like I/D, when you transition back to the old diet, do so gradually over 3-5 days.

Of the above antacids, pepto bismol would be the best choice to try and help the intestinal tract.

Emergency:
If you observe any of the following, you'll want to get into a ER veterinarian for better supportive care:
- persistent vomiting or trying to vomit
- bad diarrhea or bloody diarrhea
- poor appetite that persists
- excessive panting to suggest nausea or pain
- bloated belly appearance or a tense belly

Possible tests the vet may want to perform includes a x-ray to see if anything obvious is retained inside of him, and a blood profile.

Hope that info helps
Good Luck

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If there is something I have not covered for you, please let me know.

I greatly appreciate when you click a “Happy/Excited Face” followed by “Submit”, if you have found the advice helpful or informative. Receiving bonuses and feedback is happily welcomed.

This is necessary so I may receive credit for assisting you from JustAnswer. Even if you are a subscribing member, it is important to select a face and click submit.
REMEMBER: Even after you click a happy face and select “Submit”, you can still review our discussion or reply if needed. Unfortunately, I cannot legally prescribe medications or offer a definitive diagnosis without performing a physical examination, which is necessary to establish a client-patient-doctor relationship. I will always try my best to assist you making the best decision for your pet.
After we conclude this question, I can be requested for additional questions through my profile at:
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

So... try Pepto Bismol to settle his stomach and watch for signs of deterioration or improvement???

My son, as I write, has gotten him to eat a bit of his regular food and to chew on an ice cube, which is more than he has done in two days. He has not vomited since Friday, but he also has not urniated since last evening (over 16 hours ago).

He is normally a very peppy dog and the past three days has been very tired, laying around, not playful... I guess that worries us a lot, too.

I plan to atke him to his regular vet tomorrow, unless you recommend that I get him into today with soemone sooner... I don't know any emergency vet info as I ahve never needed one before.

Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 2 years ago.
1. Yes, try pepto bismol. I don't like giving it repatedly because it can give the illusion that things are better and cover up a primary problem. But, I would do at least one dose now and again in 8 hours.

2. Concerned about not urinating. either an illustration that he is getting very badly dehydrated (because usually the kidneys will still produce some urine), or that there is a bladder obstruction (which can cause vomiting and illness).

3. You can give him a little gatorade or pedialyte if he'll drink it.

4. Yes, I would love to see him at the vet today, any vet. I know he doesn't feel good.

The below links can help you find a ER vet, and then you can call them to find out the process. The process is generally no different than your vet. You simply schedule an appointment and go in. They are simply open when others are closed.

Find An Emergency VeterinarXXXXX XXXXXnk
Second Link to find an ER

Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience: UC Davis graduate, Interests: Dermatology, Internal Medicine, Pain Management