CriticalCareVet, ER/ICU Specialist
Experience:  Emergency and Critical Care Specialist

My dog ate rat poison what should I do

My dog ate rat poison what should I do
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  CriticalCareVet replied 4 years ago.

CriticalCareVet :

Welcome to JustAnswer! I am a licensed veterinarian and would be glad to help!

CriticalCareVet :

1) When did this happen?

CriticalCareVet :

2) What is the active ingredient on the box?

20 minutes ago

not sure I have to find the package.

CriticalCareVet :

Yes - find the package.

CriticalCareVet :

The problem is that without knowing the brand and active ingredient - there can be severe consequences as there are several common types of poison.

You can not tell the active ingredient by color, size, or shape of the block.

The more common types available include:

(1) Anticoagulant Rodenticides: The most common is an anticoagulant that causes animals to bleed to death. It accomplishes this by inhibiting Vitamin K metabolism. It takes 48 hours after ingestion for clotting test abnormalities to develop, and an additional 24 hours before clinical bleeding to develop.

(2) Neurotoxin: Bromethalin is another type of rodenticide, which can cause neurologic signs such as disorientation and seizures. Once signs develop, it is usually fatal. At high doses, the clinical signs can be very acute. At low doses, clinical signs may develop several days following ingestion.

(3) Vitamin D Analog: The third type of rat poison is the least common and contains vitamin D, which causes increased calcium levels which can affect the kidney.

CriticalCareVet :

Since it happened 20 minutes ago - If you would like to try some at home care - to make your dog vomit at home (LINK HERE)- you can use hydrogen peroxide.

The general dose is one teaspoon per 10 pounds of body weight.

(one teaspoon equals 5 cc or 5 ml).

You can give a second dose in 15 minutes if the first dose does not work.

If this does not work - I would try to get to your local ER as they likely have a medication (Apomorphine - LINK HERE) which causes vomiting in a much more reliable fashion.

CriticalCareVet :

Good luck.

CriticalCareVet :

Please remember to leave feedback and credit the post.

Find me any time if needed:

You can always request me through my profile, bookmark my page for future help, or beginning your question with “For CriticalCareVet”
Please leave feedback and credit the post - This is necessary so that I can get credit for assisting you and compensated for my time.

Once you leave feedback and credit the post, your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed.

Also remember, sometimes the medical information and recommendation may not be what you want to hear, but it is being made in the best interest of your pet - please be courteous in your response, even if this is not exactly what you wanted to hear - we are only making the best and safest possible recommendations for you and your loved ones.

Please keep in mind that if you do not list all the important information above (medical history, current medications, previous illness, etc) it is harder for me to give you the most complete information.

With this communication - we are here to guide you in making the best decision for your pet. This is for informational purposes only. We are not allowed to diagnose and prescribe medications - rather provide a course of action to speak to your veterinarian about - and any medical therapy and treatment should only be performed after an in-person examination with your veterinarian as a professional-client relationship has not been established on the site. While information may be discussed, this is not intended as an encouragement for you to self treat your pet, rather information online, and any treatment provided should only be performed after consulting your veterinarian.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Bromadiolone 5%

cont3ns denatonium benzoate

That is the clotting trouble poison discussed above.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Sorry I do not see the answer