Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  23 years of experience treating cats, dogs, guinea pigs, hamsters, rats, mice, and iguanas

My dog has not had her puppies yet. My male dog & her were

My dog has not had her puppies yet. My male dog & her were breeding the week of March25-30th. The vet said she should be due today. No puppies yet. She lost her appetite a little Fri, but later in the eveving ate. What should I do?
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 2 years ago.

Hello, I understand you are concerned for Rosa and I'd like to help. She is quite young to be a mother so a close eye is definitely warranted.
Pregnancy in a dog averages 63 days but in her case if she were bred several times we really don't know the date of conception. I suspect your veterinarian was saying after this date expect puppies, taking the first possible day of breeding into account.
And depending upon whether this is her first litter or not and her body's time clock she could go as long as 72 to 73 days.
I recommend taking her temperature rectally twice daily. Once it drops below 99F it is very likely she will deliver within 24 hours.
The last couple weeks of pregnancy a dog's appetite may wax and wane depending upon hormone levels and where the puppies are positoned and what they are pushing on.
Is she nesting yet? That should happen a week or so before delivery.
Has her milk come in? In a first time bitch that usually happens a couple day to the day before delivery.
Has she had radiographs to know how many pups are present and whether we need to be concerned about a large puppy that may be unable to pass through her pelvis. This is a real concern in a young mother, especially in breeds with large heads like Chihuahuas.
When real labor starts you should know. She will have obvious contractions and push, she will be uncomfortable and restless. If this goes on for more than an hour with no puppy, or you see fetal membranes or a puppy part and no puppy is delivered within 45 minutes then she needs help.
Keep your veterinarian's number as well as an emergency clinic's number available in case she needs help.
Here are some links to give you more information on pregnancy, labor and delivery:
1) http://www.petplace.com/dogs/normal-labor-and-delivery-in-the-dog/page1.aspx

2) http://www.2ndchance.info/caninelaborstages.htm

3) http://www.petwave.com/Dogs/Basics/Care/Breeding/Birth.aspx

Best of luck with your girl.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Great, thanks. She is happy & healthy. I did keep my male dog away many times, but it happend within less than 5 min with my head away. My fiance was not expecting to breed her until another yr or two. She eats about twice a day still, but is very tired at times. My male dog & her bred a few times that week. I am thinking she became pregnant towards the end of March around the 27-29th. I did see some cumb come out twice in that week. I wish I had wrote it on my calendar.

Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 2 years ago.

Very welcome. Accidents do happen. And while it would be nice to have some firm breeding dates at this point the drop in temperature is the most reliable predictor of delivery. If she is 102F daily then all of the sudden she drops to 99.5F then you know she's within 24 hours of delivery.
Of course she is tired now. Make sure that she is eating very good quality puppy food that way she can eat a little less and still get her needed nutrition.
I would highly recommend an abdominal radiograph though. Given her age and breed she may need one. It is much better to have everyone prepared for a c-section and not need one then to be surprised and scrambling at the last minute because things don't go well.
Best of luck, I'll cross my fingers for healthy babies soon.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

thanks much

Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 2 years ago.
Very welcome, take care.
Dr. Kara, Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience: 23 years of experience treating cats, dogs, guinea pigs, hamsters, rats, mice, and iguanas