Rebecca, Veterinarian
Experience:  I have more than 30 years of veterinary practice experience.

why does my dog wheeze? he will be resting almost asleep and

why does my dog wheeze? he will be resting almost asleep and then will wheeze for a minute or two and then go back to sleep - out of the clear blue sky - he can be walking or sitting or laying down and then will wheeze? not often but enough to worry me
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 4 years ago.

Rebeccavet : Hi Clubhouse,
Rebeccavet : Thanks for your questions about Ralphie.My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am a licensed veterin.
Rebeccavet : When he makes the wheeze, is he sucking air in, or exhaling it? Is his mouth open, or closed?
Rebeccavet : He may be "reverse sneezing" which is a form of allergic reaction to pollen, dust, or smoke. Reverse sneezing happens with the mouth closed and the noise is made with exhalation. It sounds dreadful, and isn't as bad as it sounds.
Rebeccavet : My own dog does this a lot, and the Chinese herb Pe Min Kan really helps. 2 to 3 pills, twice daily and it can be found in herb shops, Whole Foods, and health food type stores.
Rebeccavet : Benedryl can also be helpful. One milliigram per pound up to three times daily.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 4 years ago.
The website tells me you are not online to chat, so I will try this format. You can still ask me questions.

You can find great videos of dogs doing the reverse sneeze on YouTube.

If this is not reverse sneezing, it could be allergies, and the Benedryl could help. If Ralphie's gum color stays nice and bright pink while wheezing, he is not having difficulty getting oxygen into his lungs. If his color looks pale, then he may have something more serious and should be checked out.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
sorry - away from computer for awhile - dusting and vacuuming - anyway when he wheezes it is like he sucking air in quickly through his mouth and lasts for less than a minute so yes his mouth is open when he wheezes
Expert:  Rebecca replied 4 years ago.
Making the noise when sucking air is usually the reverse sneeze.

I would try the Pe Min Kank and/or the Benedryl.