petdoctor09
petdoctor09, Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian, General Practitioner
63244966

My pregnant dog has had a lot of green discharge but no puppies

My pregnant dog has had a lot of green discharge but no puppies yet. Now She is dripping blood. What should I do?
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  petdoctor09 replied 2 years ago.

petdoctor09 :

Hi, this is Dr. Maggie - I am going to try to answer your question today.

petdoctor09 :

Green discharge is a sign of fetal stress and is a good indicator that she is having trouble.

petdoctor09 :

How long has she been in labor for?

Customer:

Hi doctor. In my country its 12:15am and no doctor will be available. What should I do?

petdoctor09 :

How long has she been in labor for?

Customer:

The discharge happened at about 1:00 this afternoon

petdoctor09 :

Okay - she really needs to get in to see a veterinarian. If she has had green discharge for the past 11 hours chances are she is in need of a c-section.

petdoctor09 :

Are there any emergency clinics you can get her to tonight?

Customer:

Not that I know of but I will check. She has gone back into distress and is dripping blood, what does this mean?

petdoctor09 :

Well there is always blood when a dog is delivering, however excessive amounts of blood could indicate trouble.

Customer:

No shes just dripping blood

petdoctor09 :

I would strongly recommend trying to get her to an emergency clinic tonight. You can reach in to see if a puppy is stuck, however it isn't easy getting one un-stuck and often surgery is required.

petdoctor09 :

There really isn't any other advice I can give you for what to do at home as chances are she needs surgery quickly.

Customer:

what if there are no emergecy clinics available? what is my best option?

petdoctor09 :

If there are no emergency clinics available then I would just try to keep her in a quiet isolated room (low traffic area). You can try reaching up to see if you can feel a puppy and try to pull it if you can get ahold of it.

petdoctor09 :

However, it is usually very hard to do that as the space you are working in is very small.

petdoctor09 :

I am going to recommend you take a look at the following link that goes over what to expect with a normal birthing process for puppies: http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=678

Customer:

is she in any immediate danger?

petdoctor09 :

Not as much her as the puppies. The longer you wait the less there is a chance that any of the puppies will be born alive.

petdoctor09 :

Of course, it is dangerous for her in general to be pushing and pushing without being able to deliver the puppies as it can result in tears, hypocalcemia, etc.

petdoctor09 :

However, the more immediate concern is for the puppies.

Customer:

i dont think she is pushing... she seems relaxed, but is licking herself and groaning from time to time

petdoctor09 :

I think that is about the best advice I can give you tonight unfortunately. If you have any sterile lube and can reach a stuck puppy you can try to use that to help get the stuck puppy out if you can't find a vet tonight.

petdoctor09 :

Getting her in as soon as possible will be the best thing for her and her babies though.

Any other questions I can help you with tonight?

Customer:

No.... but thank you very very much :)

petdoctor09 :

You are very welcome. If you found this information helpful, please click the positive feedback or green ‘Accept' button so I can get compensated for my time. Thanks and best of luck with Shadow!

Experience: Veterinarian, General Practitioner