Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Veterinarian
Experience:  15 years working as a full time veterinarian
2263760

My dogs skin is turning black and he has been itching and

My dogs skin is turning black and he has been itching and chewing
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gabby replied 2 years ago.

Hello. Thank you for asking your question on just answer. My name isXXXXX will try to help.

Has he had any new food or treats recently?

What parts are of his body itch the most?

What do you use for flea control? How often do you apply it?

How much does he weigh?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No new food or treats. He is an outside dog with another dog.

In his hind quarters.

K9 Advantix II.

He is losing weight so I would guess about 50 lbs

Expert:  Dr. Gabby replied 2 years ago.

Thank you,

When they bite over the hind quarters, and hips, it is usually due to flea saliva allergy.

If he is biting around his rectal area, that is usually food allergy.

When dogs are allergic to flea saliva, one bite cause them to have a big allergic reaction. Your vet could test him to see if he is allergic to flea saliva. If the hair loss is over the hips, then I would assume it is flea saliva allergy until proven otherwise. Make sure you put the advantix on every 4 weeks. If you bathe him, you will have to apply the advantix more frequently. If the advantix is not controlling the fleas, you can add a product like "comfortis" or "capstar." Both are oral medications. You will have to get the comfortis from a vet with a prescription. You can get the capstar, online, without a prescription.

capstar

comfortis

You could try putting him on a hypo-allergenic diet. This is different than a natural dog food. The most common food allergens are beef, chicken, lamb, corn, and wheat. The name of the hypo-allergenic dog food is "hills z/d." You will have to get it from the vet. He will be on the hill's z/d for 6 weeks. If his skin improves, you know he has food allergies.

Dog's skin often turns black with chronic inflammation. It will return to the normal color when the itching and inflammation resolve.

To help with the itching, you can give 50 mg of benadryl every 8-12 hours.

You can spray hydrocortisone spray, on the affected areas, every few hours until the skin is no longer itchy or inflamed.

I hope this helps.

Dr. Gabby, Veterinarian
Experience: 15 years working as a full time veterinarian
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Can you advise what type of shampoo to use? A friend told me to use Lemon Joy because the lemon keeps the fleas off.
Expert:  Dr. Gabby replied 2 years ago.

Lemon joy will wash the fleas that are on him at the time of the bath. But it will also wash off your advantix. It dries the skin out too. Plus, as soon as he gets out of the tub, and dries, more fleas will jump on him. Lemon joy does nothing to repel fleas.

I would use a gentle moisturizing shampoo that contains oatmeal for its soothing effects.

epi-soothe shampoo

aloe and oatmeal shampoo