Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, Interests: Dermatology, Internal Medicine, Pain Management
14008320

My 6 month old puppy has diarrhea and its been going on for

My 6 month old puppy has diarrhea and it's been going on for a few days now. She has been out to poo at least 4 times over night. My husband fed her raw chicken thighs while i was at work the other night. Does she need to go to the vet and how soon? It's a public holiday today and I would need to make an emergency call to the vet to get her seen today.
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 2 years ago.

Dr. Andy :

Welcome to JustAnswer! I would be happy to assist you. I am a 2003 graduate from UC Davis and a Medical Director of a 4 veterinarian practice.

Dr. Andy :

Oh....bad on raw chicken....

Dr. Andy :

That's a no no.

Dr. Andy :

However, we don't know the chicken is the cause.

Dr. Andy :

AT this age, many other possible explanations for persistent diarrhea:

Dr. Andy :

- Dietary indiscretion (eating something you do not know about)

- Stomach or intestinal foreign body

- Something that was given to them (new food, new treat, human food)

- Intestinal parasitism (not just the worms, but the microscopic bugs like Giardia and Coccidia). They can cause vomiting also, not just diarrhea

Dr. Andy :

It really sounds like she is distressed with a lot of pooping.

Dr. Andy :

Yes, I do feel it is worth the ER visit.

Dr. Andy :

If you elect to not go in, I can suggest a little something, but the following should not replace veterinary care:

Dr. Andy :

Pepto-Bismol or Kaopectate

Dr. Andy :

You can give it every 8 hours. The average dose is 1ml per pound of body weight, and that is the TOTAL dose for the day. So, if a pet weighs 30 pounds, they would get a total of 30ml a day or 10ml every 8 hours. This is dosing for regular strength Pepto-Bismol. If you use maximum strength liquid, give half as much.

Dr. Andy :

Although a veterinary examination is always going to be recommended, especially with vomiting episodes and/or diarrhea, here is a bland diet recommendation:

Dr. Andy :

Boiled boneless, skinless chicken breast OR low-fat cottage cheese

Dr. Andy :

Cooked white rice

Dr. Andy :

*Never add on salt, pepper, oils, butter to any of the above

Dr. Andy :

*Ideally, give 1/3 chicken or cottage cheese, and 2/3 white rice

Dr. Andy :

Veterinarians will often prescribe some prescription bland diets as an easy alternative including

Dr. Andy :

And

Dr. Andy :

Science Diet I/D

Dr. Andy :

*It is important to remember that if improving on a bland diet or prescription food like I/D, when you transition back to the old diet, do so gradually over 3-5 days.

Dr. Andy :

Hope that info helps.

Dr. Andy :

Dr. Andy :

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dr. Andy :

If there is something I have not covered for you, please let me know.

Dr. Andy :

I greatly appreciate when you click “Accept”, if you have found the advice helpful or informative. Receiving bonuses and feedback is happily welcomed. This is necessary so I may receive credit for assisting you from JustAnswer. Even if you are a subscribing member, it is important to click “accept”.

Dr. Andy :

REMEMBER: Even after you click a accept, you can still review our discussion or reply if needed. Unfortunately, I cannot legally prescribe medications or offer a definitive diagnosis without performing a physical examination, which is necessary to establish a client-patient-doctor relationship. I will always try my best to assist you making the best decision for your pet.

Dr. Andy :

After we conclude this question, I can be requested for additional questions through my profile at: Dr. Andy

Customer: Thanks. I did tell him to boil the chicken at least but he was too lazy. So annoyed about that. Can it wait 24 hours or should I take her today? She is still active and playing and eating her regular food and drinking normally.
Dr. Andy :

Great that she is active, playing and eating.

Dr. Andy :

Certainly, Ican't know for sure without my own exam, but my guess is within 24 hours is okay.

Dr. Andy :

May I be of any further help?

Customer: Thanks again!! Also, other pup has cut herself on barbed wire while walking in a paddock yesterday. Just wanted to check, are dogs susceptible to tetanus like humans (I'm a nurse but for people, not dogs!) I did google it but would rather an expert opinion instead of doctor google
Dr. Andy :

Yes, they are susceptible to tetanus.

Dr. Andy :

Any wound that breaks skin like a barbed wire, should be evaluated, and likely oral antibiotics started as a precaution.

Dr. Andy :

Please remember to close the question by clicking “accept” before just exiting chat. My family greatly appreciates it. Or, let me know if there is anything else I may add to try and be more helpful or informative.

Dr. Andy :

Customer: Thank you very much, this has been very helpful
Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience: UC Davis graduate, Interests: Dermatology, Internal Medicine, Pain Management