Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of small animal internal medicine, surgery and preventive medicine.

Can dogs get a stomach flu?

Can dogs get a stomach flu?
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 4 years ago.
Hello, I am Dr. Peter a licensed Veterinarian. I would like to help. I need to ask you a few questions to be well informed and give you the best advice. There is no additional charge for information request.

1- How many hours since the last time he vomited?
2- Is he lethargic?
3- Any pre existing medical conditions?
4- Take a look at his gums and see if they are pink or pale?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

1. He vomited almost 2 hours ago, and before that it was last evening about this time

2. At this point he is not lethargic

3. No pre-existing conditions

4. His gums are pink

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 4 years ago.
1- Make sure I got this right, he has not eaten or had water in 24 hours but vomited 2 hours ago, right?
2- How much does he weigh?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

He has had water in the past 24 hours, but no food

He weighs 105 lbs

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 4 years ago.
In response to your question, yes dogs do get stomach flu (bacterias or viruses) that cause vomiting and diarrhea. Other possible causes could be parasites, ingestion of a foreign body or even part of a systemic disease.
If he vomited 2 hours ago I would advise you not to feed him yet, or there is a very good chance he is going to continue to vomit. Instead, this is what you can do:

1- Start him on Pepcid AC (famotidine) 20mg every 12 hours. You can find Pepcid AC over the counter in any pharmacy. If you do not have pepcid ac leave without anything. Do not give pepto bismol.

2- Hold on food and water for another 4-6 hours. Need to give belly time to rest.

3- After 4-6 hours offer a small amount of water. Wait half hour, if no vomiting, offer small amount of rice (50%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (50%) 4-6 times a day. Keep on this diet for several days then wean into regular diet.

4- If he continues to vomit after doing the above, follow up with your family veterinarian for a hands on examination and abdominal xrays.

Hope the above helps, if you have additional questions I will be glad to answer them.

Dr. Peter