DrRalston
DrRalston, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over twelve years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.
47051559

my dog is house trained but has started to poo and wee in the

Customer Question

my dog is house trained but has started to poo and wee in the house why?
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  DrRalston replied 2 years ago.
You are going to have to get rid of the smell of urine. Remember that even if you can't smell it THEY CAN!!!

The best way to find the spots is when the lights are off, take a cheap black light like you would get a novelty store, and search around areas you think smell like urine, or places where you have seen them pee. Search the whole house to be throrough.

Then to get rid of the smell: in carpets, you might have to pull the carpets up to get to the padding underneath. This is where I lose most people because they want an easy answer. There isn't one. You might try deep cleaning products with steam carpeting, but you might still have to get underneath that carpet. In many cases I have had clients use it as an excuse to go back to wooden floors or tile which they have wanted to do for years.

The only product I have found that really works is called Nature's Miracle Click here for link

I personally use it at home.

You might have to repotty train after this again. I know you said they were potty trained. Sometimes they forget. This is my general plan for repotty training. It is copied from a file I wrote, because it is a lot to type out over and over again. So, it will say, she instead of he. ETC.

It very well could be a behavioral problem. These never have straight forward answers. It tends to frustrate people, so please be aware that I am trying to help.

You really want to rule out any medical causes of behavioral problems. These can include urinary tract infections which would make urinating painful. Sometimes, when that happens the pet stops going outside associating outside with the pain, thus the pooing inside. Also, fecal parasites should be considered as a cause of sudden urge to defecate inside. Pain from arthitis or joint pain can make it difficult to squat to poo or pee as well. Any sickness at all, can lead to a change in behavior. I strongly suggest because of that to have full blood work and urinalysis done on your pet. This is where I usually lose people, because it doesn't sound like an answer. Unforunately, it's what you have to do to get to the cause.

When you think about it, veterinary behavior change is a lot like human psychology. Many times people are functioning great one day, and then suddenly a phobia or trauma in life changes the way they think about something, and the behavior changes. Often these peopel benefit from seeing a professional psychologist to help them through those times. That is what a Veterinary Behaviorist is for pets. It is a true specialty in Vet med, and requires an internship and residency.

You may need to re-potty train your pet. I am going to post my basic method for that right after these comments. It will just take me a moment to retrieve that information.

But, it may be difficult. And you may have to put some work into it to get her back to normal.

I hope you understand.
Expert:  DrRalston replied 2 years ago.
(Follow up to previous answer)

Here is a basic plan to potty train any dog at any age.

It is kind of a general plan, but stick with me here...

1. Decide on a single schedule for feeding and walking your pet. Try 2 -3 times a day. Try to pick a time when you can always, or someone else, can always do this.
Keep the times less than 8 hours apart.

2.Control the feeding and water. Feed your pet only twice daily, after the walks. Also, be sure to feed a high quality food. Some foods have too much filler
in them and will INCREASE the ammount of poo. Pull water off the floor at 8PM. No water over night. This will help with the urination.

3. CRATE CRATE CRATE. no more doggy door! no more random outsides! Walk only at the planned times, never in between. That way your pet will start figuring out
that they need to hold it, and there are certain times which YOU will provide for the business to be taken care of. Most pets will not defecate in a crate.
They don't want to lie in it, but there are exceptions. For the first week you may have to keep your pet in the crate always when you can't be there to watch them.

4. After the first intense week of feeding walking and crating, your pet can probably be let out of the crate for about 3 hours at a time (if you're home) before
you might start considering a potty break. so for 3 hours let her out, then put her back until its time to go outside. feedings MUST stay at those times,
WALKS must stay at those times. you are getting her body in sync with YOU.

5. After about another week, your pet can be left out for longer periods, and have more time to itself without you watching.

6. Don't give too many treats, as these may cause excess calories resulting in pooping.

7. Reward your pet when it goes to the bathroom outside.

8. Do not yell for accidents in the house. if you catch her in the act, quicky clap your hands to distract her so she stops, and immediatly take her outside.
if you did not catch her do it, dont yell at her, you lost the oppurtinity for her to learn anything. just remove her from the area, crate if you want, and
clean it up so that she cant see you. make sure to use professional carpet cleaner for dogs to remove the smell.

slowly but surely you can leave her out of the crate more and she will not even have to go until her times. soon, even if you are a little late to take her
out, she will hold it not to go in the house.

And if that doesn't work, keep in mind that behaviors can be really difficult to treat.

If a person changes their behavior quite suddenly we suspect something is wrong with them. If they are aware of the changes but unable to control them, they often seek medical help in the form of a Doctor that treats behavior problems. In humans that's a Psychiatrist, but in animals we refer to Veterinary Behaviorists.

This is a true specialty in Veterinary Medicine and these Doctors can help you diagnose the problem faster and get you to an acceptable answer faster as well. It is almost IMPOSSIBLE to give any help online with behavior. It is best dealt with a one on one approach of treatment and behavior modification.

Please feel free to ask any follow up questions or any other questions you might have!
Thanks for your question,
Sincerely,
DrRalston

____________________________________________________________________________________________________
Thank you for your question! If the information I have provided has been useful, please press "ACCEPT" just once, or I will not receive credit for helping you. Thanks!

Bonuses for great answers are always appreciated!

Your question will not close after pressing accept so you may ask follow up questions. There is no additional charge for questions I ask you!

For more info about me (CLICK HERE) To request me in the future you may bookmark and use that link to ask a question of me ANYTIME. OR you may place "For DrRalston" in your question.
Expert:  DrRalston replied 2 years ago.
Hopefully that information was helpful to you.

If it was, please press accept.

If not please follow up with questions.

Awaiting reply,
DrRalston
Expert:  DrRalston replied 2 years ago.
Just to remind you, your question is about to expire on Just Answer.

If my answers were helpful to you, thanks for the accept!

If not please follow up with any questions you might have.

Thanks!
DrRalston