PetDoctor2005
PetDoctor2005, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing veterinarian for the past twelve years
65926376

my dog has been bobbing his head like he has parkinsons he

my dog has been bobbing his head like he has parkinsons he does eat and drink pee and poo he also barks but he seems sad

PetDoctor2005 :

Hi there! I am a licensed veterinarian and I would be happy to help!

PetDoctor2005 :

Has he been doing this long? Can you distract him out of it? Is this the first time you have seen him do this?

Customer:

for about a week and yes he will stop if you get his attention this is the first time

PetDoctor2005 :

Ok, If you can distract him from this, then it is less likely to be a seizure...head bobbing can be neurologic in origin, but would think less so if he stops when you distract.....How many times a day do you see this?

Customer:

he does it all the time if his head is up he also does a teeth chattering thing sometimes and i hav seen him do that in the past but its more frequent now

PetDoctor2005 :

ok, if it is all the time, then I would be concerned...He must still be eating/drinking okay, right? Dogs can do something called "idiopathic head bobbing" (look up on youtube and you can see videos)...but this shouldn't be all the time... and this condition is not worrisome...BUT doing it on a regular basis whenever his head is up, (especially with the teeth chattering) I would be concerned about an underyling neurologic disease

PetDoctor2005 :

Examples of a neurologic disease that could cause this is....

PetDoctor2005 :

disease of the cerebellum part of the brain (either by infection....or inflammation(caused by a random flare-up of the immune system) or possibly a tumor)

Customer:

he is alo breathing fast like huff huff huff huff i think thats why his head bobs

PetDoctor2005 :

well fast respiration rates in dogs can mean many things...from pain to heart disease...It sounds like he needs a general exam to check his heart/lungs and neurologic status (something that may help the vet is to videotape his activity now in case he isn't doing it when you take him in)...

Customer:

ok he did have a flea infestation before all this started could it have made him sick he is a very wimpy little guy

PetDoctor2005 :

not fleas, but did you give any flea medication?

Customer:

no i bathe him and and use a flea comb i try not to give him any medications that are not necessary

PetDoctor2005 :

Ok, well then the fleas alone wouldn't cause neuro signs, but if he is a"wimpy guy" as you say, then he could be a little stressed out due to fleas and agitated...but the head bobbing is a little strange, so if still doing it tomorrow...I would get an exam :)

Customer:

ok thanks so much i sometimes feel like vets think im crazy and i can just hear them when i told them this one . i have 5 dogs of different breeds so its always something different.

PetDoctor2005 :

I understand!! Dogs never do what you are describing when they are sitting in your vets office either, do they?

Customer:

no and children never seem as sick once you get to the doctors office .

PetDoctor2005 :

ha ha, thats the truth! Well good luck with your little guy!

Customer:

thanks again goodnight