petdoctor09, Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian, General Practitioner

my dog chewed on a hot shot ant bait poison housing. what should

my dog chewed on a hot shot ant bait poison housing. what should i do?
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  petdoctor09 replied 4 years ago.

Hi, this is Dr. Maggie - I am going to try to answer your question today.

First, I need a little more information:

1.) What breed of dog is she and approximately how much does she weigh?

2.) How long ago did she chew on the ant bait?

3.) Did she actually eat the ant bait house or just chew on it some?

4.) How does she seem to be acting right now?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Dr. Maggie, she is a rhodesian ridge back, weighing approx. 114 lbs. this occured about 30min. ago. She chewed on and consumed a little aswell. Tired it's way past both our bed time!

Thanks for the additional information.

I just looked up the active ingredient in the Hot Shot Ant Traps, and it is Indoxacarb, which is really pretty safe in pets. He would have had to eat many traps (dozens) entirely before seeing a problem (especially since he is such a big dog). The bigger concern is an obstruction possibility if he ate the house (plastic) part. As long as he didn't eat the plastic stuff, I wouldn't be too worried.

If he ate very much of the plastic, you can induce vomiting just to be on the safe side. You may do so by administering 1/4 cup of hydrogen peroxide by mouth once. Usually a dog will vomit within about 5 minutes after ingesting the hydrogen peroxide. If he doesn't, you may go ahead and repeat the dosage once. If he doesn't vomit after 2 doses, I wouldn't give him any more. I would just keep a close eye on him for the next 24-48 hours to watch for any vomiting or anorexia (which could be a sign of a blockage). If he shows any of those types of symptoms, he should be taken in to see your regular veterinarian for an examination. (However, I think he will probably be just fine.)

Hopefully that answered your question. Please let me know if you have any additional questions or concerns.

If you found this information helpful, please click the positive feedback or green ‘Accept' button so I can get compensated for my time. Thanks and best of luck with your dog!