PetDoctor2005
PetDoctor2005, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing veterinarian for the past seven years
65926376

can humans get a rash from pet dog

can humans get a rash from pet dog
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  PetDoctor2005 replied 2 years ago.

PetDoctor2005 :

Hi there! I am a licensed veterinarian with some extra time on my hands and I would be happy to help!

Customer:

thank you

PetDoctor2005 :

Yes, there are two main conditions that pets can pass onto people resulting in a skin rash...1) Scabies..which is a small mite that affects a dog...resulting in hairloss, severe itching, redness....people can get this and is pretty contagious between dogs/people and 2) Ringworm....not usually itchy for pets, but is a round, itchy area on people's skin

PetDoctor2005 :

Another one, I thought of, but not very common is hookworms...they are small parasites carried in a dogs intestinal tract and has been known to bury through a persons skin, causing a small area of infection/itching...but rarely seen

Customer:

i have a 12 year old bichion freize who has a severe skin rash ,she is very miserable ,having vet treatments,,,now i have a rash that my gp thought was shingle??? but i dont have the signs of this,,,,,however i am severly itchy with a rash ,,my husband is also itchy with no rash,,,,,,,,,,,,,vet does not say my dog has either of your suggestions ,

PetDoctor2005 :

Well...scabies is hard to diagnose, and although we see every now and then, it usually is suspected if treating for allergies/skin condition in a dog doesn't work.....I would let you vet know that you have a rash as well as your husband and this makes scabies a very real possibility in your dog...

Customer:

the vet thinks my dog has an allegy problem but is unable to define what to,,she has had skin problems since being a puppy ,,has had lots of preciption drughs

PetDoctor2005 :

Skin rashes in pets are either due to allergies or scabies most commonly.....

PetDoctor2005 :

It is NOT common for people to pick up the skin infections on their pet, so either coincidental....OR mention to your doctor or vet that you are also itching...to try and see if something else is going on with your Bichon's skin..

Customer:

sorrry i did not see your answer i will tell my vet your suggestions thank you for your time .

PetDoctor2005 :

Your welcome...Good luck, I know allergies in dogs are such a pain...it may be that your vet is just assuming it is allergies this time around because of her lifelong problem with them!

PetDoctor2005 :

Any other questions for me?

Customer:

could you say if you have ever heard or seen a dog put to sleep due to sever skin inflation ,,my dog sally has been chewing and scratching herself for approx 3 months despite precption drugs special food and shampoo,,,she has no fur on her sides front legs and forehead ,,and redness, small pimples ,i am worried because she is so miserable doesnt want to play has no relieif even to sleep ,i would appreciate your support please

Customer:

thank you

PetDoctor2005 :

Is this in the same household as your bichon and you? IF so....scabies is treatable, I would try a trial treatment for it..,just a special medication given a few times per week for a few months.....IF not, then prior to being put to sleep I would opt for steroids...does have side effects in the longrun, but if it means comfort to her, then well worth it!

PetDoctor2005 :

Allergies are almost always controlled with prednisone...just has a negative connotation to it because of side effects, but when people are at their wits-end and the dog is miserable, it is a viable alternative..

Customer:

she has had several doses of steriods and anti botics and has just finished a course,,yes she is my dog

PetDoctor2005 :

Is she fine on the steroids....and itchy when she goes off of them?

Customer:

she has a lesser itch but not totally free

PetDoctor2005 :

Ok, allergies are very frustrating....sometimes a combination of steroids/medicated baths weekly and using skin supplements that provide omega 3/omega 6 fatty acids can have an additive effect of keeping her comfortable...

PetDoctor2005 :

again, if this has been the past 3 months and steroids don't take away the itch, I would be suspicious of scabies

Customer:

thank you so much your the first vet that suggested this,,what is the usual treatmet for scabies please ,i am sorry to take up your time but i would do whatever it takes to get my sally comfortable

Customer:

i meant your time

PetDoctor2005 :

The treatment is Ivermectin given three times weekly...usually treated for a few months....you can get this easily from your vet and fairly inexpensive

Customer:

thank you so very much ,i am delighted with your help and will sugget scabies to the vet ,,,take care again thank you

PetDoctor2005 :

Your welcome, and hopefully that is what is causing the problem (much easier to deal with than allergies!)

Customer:

bye bye

PetDoctor2005, Veterinarian
Experience: Practicing veterinarian for the past seven years