CriticalCareVet
CriticalCareVet, ER/ICU Specialist
Experience:  Emergency and Critical Care Specialist

My dog has diarrhea with bright red blood and mucus in it.

My dog has diarrhea with bright red blood and mucus in it. He seems to be eating and drinking just fine. What is causing this problem?
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  CriticalCareVet replied 2 years ago.

CriticalCareVet :

Welcome to JustAnswer! I am a licensed veterinarian and would be glad to help!

CriticalCareVet :

When did this start?

CriticalCareVet :

Was there a diet change?

CriticalCareVet :

Change in treats?

Customer:

Hi, thank you for your help. This started early this morning (around 4 or 5 am). We have changed treats and Charlie had been groomed yesterday as well. We also gave him part of a bully stick yesterday. His food has remained the same. While he is eating and drinking like normal, he is acting very needy.

CriticalCareVet :

Ok - great - that helps.

CriticalCareVet :

Please give me a few minutes to construct some thoughts:

CriticalCareVet :

Using history alone it is difficult to rule-out other causes, but the history would support a colitis or gastroenteritis.

CriticalCareVet :

In this case - treats, diet change and even stress (a stress colitis from the grooming are possible.

CriticalCareVet :

Other causes include infections including intestinal parasites (LINK HERE), giardia (LINK HERE), and coccidia (LINK HERE).

CriticalCareVet :

While supportive care alone may help - if it does continue...you should have your veterinarian do an examination and perform some tests, initially looking at the feces, testing for some of these infectious causes like parasites and protozoa (LINK HERE).

CriticalCareVet :

If there is no cause and this is a non-specific colitis seen with stress or food changes, your veterinarian may prescribe an antibiotic called Metronidazole (LINK HERE) which is a great medication for non specific cases of colitis similar to this.

CriticalCareVet :

Other common therapies to consider include:

CriticalCareVet :

1) One option would be a veterinary prescription bland diet called Hill’s I/D (LINK HERE) or Hill’s W/D (LINK HERE) which is higher in fiber.

The second option would be a home-cooked bland diet. A common bland diet is boiled white rice and either boiled white meat chicken or boiled hamburger. Whichever protein source is chosen (chicken or hamburger) it is recommended to offer a mixture of 2/3 rice and 1/3 of the protein source.

If the diet is tolerated, and once clinical improvement is seen, it is recommended to SLOWLY transition back to the normal diet.

When you start to transition to the normal diet, you can initially offer a food mixture with the majority being the boiled rice and meat and have a small amount of normal dog food mixed in.

Each day you can gradually decrease the amount of rice and meat and gradually increase the amount of normal dog food in the mixture.

We recommend a slow transition over 3-5 days to reduce possible stomach upset.

CriticalCareVet :

2) Famotidine (Pepcid A/C) - LINK HERE

3) Probiotics can also be considered - LINK HERE or LINK HERE

CriticalCareVet :

I hope this information helps! Reply at any time if more information or help is needed!

CriticalCareVet :

Find me any time if needed: http://www.justanswer.com/veterinary/expert-criticalcarevet

You can always request me through my profile, bookmark my page for future help, or beginning your question with “For CriticalCareVet”
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Please click the "GREEN ACCEPT" button if the information I have provided has been of help so I receive credit for helping you. Bonuses are always welcome and appreciated.

This is necessary so that I can get credit for assisting you and compensated for my time.

Once you click accept, your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed.

Also remember, sometimes the medical information and recommendation may not be what you want to hear, but it is being made in the best interest of your pet - please be courteous in your response, even if this is not exactly what you wanted to hear - we are only making the best and safest possible recommendations for you and your loved ones.

Please keep in mind that if you do not list all the important information above (medical history, current medications, previous illness, etc) it is harder for me to give you the most complete information.

With this communication - we are here to guide you in making the best decision for your pet. We are not allowed to diagnose and prescribe medications - rather provide a course of action to speak to your veterinarian about - and any medical therapy and treatment should only be performed after an in-person examination with your veterinarian as a professional-client relationship has not been established on the site.

CriticalCareVet, ER/ICU Specialist
Experience: Emergency and Critical Care Specialist