Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, Interests: Dermatology, Internal Medicine, Pain Management

what dosage of trazodone is fatal for a 25 lb dog?

Customer Question

Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 4 years ago.

Dr. Andy :

Dr. Andy :

Not possible to answer.

Dr. Andy :

We do not use this drug regularly in veterinary medicine.

Dr. Andy :

I would say that 6 tablets for a 25 pound dog can certainly cause severe illness. Vomiting, diarrhea, possible impact on liver or kidney values. Fatal? Not necessarily at all. With proper supportive care, to maybe include some intravenous fluid to help flush out the body, I think a pet would recover okay.

Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 4 years ago.
Just to confirm my suspicions I pulled this excerpt of info about the drug:
If you look at the top, you'll see about lethal dose testing in other species, before use in people, and nothing is listed about testing in dogs.

Animal Oral LD50

The oral LD50 of the drug is 610 mg/kg in mice, 486 mg/kg in rats, and 560 mg/kg in rabbits.

Signs and Symptoms

Death from overdose has occurred in patients ingesting Trazodone hydrochloride and other drugs concurrently (namely, alcohol; alcohol + chloral hydrate + diazepam; amobarbital; chlordiazepoxide; or meprobamate).

The most severe reactions reported to have occurred with overdose of Trazodone alone have been priapism, respiratory arrest, seizures, and EKG changes. The reactions reported most frequently have been drowsiness and vomiting. Overdosage may cause an increase in incidence or severity of any of the reported adverse reactions (see ADVERSE REACTIONS).

There is no specific antidote for Trazodone. Treatment should be symptomatic and supportive in the case of hypotension or excessive sedation. Any patient suspected of having taken an overdose should have the stomach emptied by gastric lavage. Forced diuresis may be useful in facilitating elimination of the drug.

So, all you do is supportive care to help through the toxicity.

Good Luck