adkvet
adkvet, Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a small animal veterinarian licensed in NY and MA.
63584866

How many ml of liquid Benadryl would I give a 7lb. Yorkie?

Category: Veterinary
Expert:  adkvet replied 4 years ago.

adkvet :

Hi there I'm Dr B and I'm happy to help you with your question today

adkvet :

Can you tell me the concentration of the liquid benadryl (eg how many mg per ml)?

adkvet :

Most formulations are 12.5mg/ml. If this is the case, you should give .75 ml (this works out to approximately 1mg/pound). This dose can be given twice daily as needed for itching.

adkvet :

Please let me know if you have any additional questions. If you are satisfied with my answer, please click "accept" so I receive credit for my answer. Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX a great night! ~Dr. B

Customer:

Confused. Are you asking me the concentration of the Benadryl? If I give .75 ml, the lowest number on my infant syringe is 1.25 So I assume that I should give slightly more than half that amount, correct?

Customer:

If you're offline and not available to answer my question, then I am not going to hit the accept button.

adkvet :

Hi sorry I just received your respone

adkvet :

Does it say on the benadryl box what the concentration is?

Customer:

No actually I don't have the box.

adkvet :

Okay. So the marker on the infant syringe is for 1.25 ml?

Customer:

Yes.

adkvet :

Her dose is about half of that. What you can do is measure out slightly less than 1/4 teaspoon and suck that into the syringe. That should be the correct dose.

adkvet :

If that's too difficult, you can also give her 1/4 of a benadryl tablet, if you have that on hand.

Customer:

She WILL NOT take a pill. Way too smart for that! :-)

adkvet :

Figures!

Customer:

That's why I'm having to pay to figure out how much liquid to give her. We' out of town and in a pinch.

adkvet :

I would go with slightly less than 1/4 teaspoon. If she gets a little too much, usually the major side effect is just sedation.

Customer:

okie dokie. Just measured and it was way more than 1.25 ml So you think if I give her 1.25 ml that should be ok?

adkvet :

That should be fine.

adkvet :

She just might be a little sleepy tonight

Customer:

So would you give her less than that? I don't want to overdose her and make her sleepy. That's why I'm asking you.

adkvet :

Benadryl has a pretty large safety margin. Her dose is about half of what you have in the infant syringe. If you can't give half because of how the syringe is set up, it should still be okay to give the full dose, it will just cause some sedation.

Customer:

okay. I can fill the syringe half way to 1.25 ml. That should be perfect, right?

adkvet :

Right.

Customer:

okay. Thanks very much.