Dr. Matt
Dr. Matt, Veterinarian
Experience:  13 years of experience including dogs, cats, and pocket pets

my guinea pig has a stuffy nose

Customer Question

my guinea pig has a stuffy nose
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Matt replied 4 years ago.

Dr. Matt :

Hello - I am Dr. Matt - I would be glad to help you with your question.

Dr. Matt :

Is he sneezing or having any nasal discharge that you can see?

Dr. Matt :

What type of bedding are you using in his cage?

Expert:  Dr. Matt replied 4 years ago.
I do not think the chat is working tonight. We can continue our conversation through question and answer mode. First I wanted to ask you a few more questions:
How long has this been going on for?
Is he sneezing or having any nasal discharge?
Is he eating and drinking normally?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
havent noticed any sneezing using dry woodchips for bedding just cleaned cage 2 days ago have been cleaning it weekly or more often if needed
Expert:  Dr. Matt replied 4 years ago.
Thanks for the additional information. Based on what you are describing he very well could have an upper respiratory infection. In Guinea pigs the most common causes of this are viral or bacterial infections, overgrown tooth roots, and foreign material stuck in the nasal cavity. Viral/bacterial disease are by far the most common that we see. If he is eating and drinking well and does not seem lethargic you may be able to help him at home. I usually recommend getting some pediatric saline nasal drops and applying one drop to each nostril twice daily. This will help him clear out any discharge that may be causing him to not breathe as well. If he does start to have any thicker discharge or seems to not eat and drink as well then he will need to see your vet to obtain an antibiotic to help him clear the infection quicker. I would also recommend making sure that he has plenty of vitamin C to help make sure he is not deficient in this much needed vitamin in Guinea Pigs. Some common vegetables that have high levels of vitamin C are bell peppers, kale, and parsley. Most Guinea Pigs love these veggies so he most likely will eat them well. Give a half of a handful of these every day. Hope this helps -please reply if you have any other questions.