How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Peter Your Own Question
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Category: Veterinary
Satisfied Customers: 28081
Experience:  16 years of small animal internal medicine, surgery and preventive medicine.
25161683
Type Your Veterinary Question Here...
Dr. Peter is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My dog just ate a little piece of rat poison (wilson predator)

Resolved Question:

My dog just ate a little piece of rat poison (wilson predator) I couldn't get her to drink water like it says on the package so I gave her 2 ice cubes....she ate them right down. I have mice and the poison is contained in a container but I guess some was dragged out by the mice and she got a bit. Toxicological info:Vitamin K, in the form of intramuscular or subcutaneous injections or by oral ingestion are suggested remedial treatments for anticoagulant poisoning. I know when the mice die they lose blood, cause when I find one there is blood on the floor and I usually fine a mouse close by. I don't think she got enough to harm but I want to make sure. Please help. She is quite happy now but I don't know if this will affect later.
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 4 years ago.
Hello, I am Dr. Peter a licensed Veterinarian. I would like to help. I need to ask you a few questions to be well informed and give you the best advice. There is no additional charge for information request.

1- How long has it been since she ate the poison?
2- Do you have hydrogen peroxide?
3- How much does she weigh?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
It has been about 1 hour since I figured she ate it, I didn't see her eat it. I just found a bit on the couch and assumed she ate it. She could have just carried it there and decided she didn't like it. Yes I have hydrogen peroxide and she weighs about 10 lbs.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 4 years ago.
I would recommend to induce vomiting by giving her 1 teaspoon of hydrogen peroxide orally. Allow her to walk for a minute and move her belly to mix stomach content with peroxide, if she does not vomit within 5 minutes repeat the peroxide. It can be given a total of 3 times 5-10 minutes apart. Need to move quickly before the poison moves out of the stomach. Let me know what happens.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I'm thinking I have to take her to emergency...she is fine now but I'm so scared....I am trying to get her to drink the peroxide. not a lot of luck so far. still trying.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 4 years ago.
If you can not induce vomiting with peroxide then the best option is to take her to ER vet and they can induce vomiting, that is the first step is to try to get the poison out of the stomach. It takes about 24 hours for the poison to exert any effects, if they can not induce vomiting then her blood needs to be checked to make certain she is coagulating ok.

If you have additional questions I will be glad to answer them.

Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter and other Veterinary Specialists are ready to help you

Related Veterinary Questions