CriticalCareVet
CriticalCareVet, ER/ICU Specialist
Experience:  Emergency and Critical Care Specialist
17828336

my dog keeps biting his paws and back just above his tail till

Customer Question

my dog keeps biting his paws and back just above his tail till he bleeds not seriously only on his back though and every time he moves he scratches his underbelly he is quite pink at times but not all the time he has no fleas i have only been washing him with oatmeal shampoo and was advised to use malaseb as well and hippity hop a tea tree oil based anti scratch this has had some affect but he still scratches he has no worms that are visible even the cortesone has no real effect to stop this the vets just say its a flea allergic reaction it has never been this bad in the past 6 years
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  CriticalCareVet replied 5 years ago.
Welcome to JustAnswer! I am a licensed veterinarian and would be glad to help!

These signs are very consistent with allergies in dogs, otherwise known as generalized atopy - LINK HERE

Dogs with atopy/allergies often have signs such as licking and biting at the body.

Medications we consider for short or long term control include:

- Steroids (Prednisone - LINK HERE)

- Antihistamines such as Benadryl (LINK HERE) or Loratidine (LINK HERE).

- Antihistamine / Steroid Combination - Temaril-P (LINK HERE)

- Atopica (cyclosporine) - LINK HERE

BUT - If the signs continue, I would speak to your veterinarian about those options above as well as to evaluate the skin itself to look for an infection. At times a skin infection can cause your signs.

Moreover, an under active thyroid should be ruled out.

Regarding the topic above, allergies / atopy - there are many types of allergies - grass, mold, mites, etc.

To determine which is the cause, similar to in people, skin testing is performed.

They can also be allergic to their food.

Other diets to consider would be hydrolyzed or novel protein diets.

The primary aim of a hydrolyzed protein diet is to disrupt the proteins within the diet sufficiently to remove existing allergens.

The primary aim of a novel protein diet is to use a protein never seen by the body before, to decrease the risk of a hypersensitivity to that protein

Examples include:

1) Hills Z/D (LINK HERE)

2) Purina HA (LINK HERE)

I hope this information is helpful.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Please click the "GREEN ACCEPT" button if the information I have provided has been of help so I receive credit for helping you. Bonuses are always welcome and appreciated.

This is necessary so that I can get credit for assisting you and compensated for my time.

Once you click accept, your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed.

Please keep in mind that if you do not list all the important information above (medical history, current medications, previous illness, etc) it is harder for me to give you the most complete information.

With this communication - we are here to guide you in making the best decision for your pet. We are not allowed to diagnose and prescribe medications - rather provide a course of action to speak to your veterinarian about - and any medical therapy and treatment should only be performed after an in-person examination with your veterinarian as a professional-client relationship has not been established on the site.

You can always request me through my profile (HERE) or beginning your question with “For CriticalCareVet

Please click (HERE) for important information.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
he has had some antihistamines and i guess it calmed it down but every time u touch he scratches himself like its a soft spot my mums dog had similar situation and it ended being up a cyst under the skin his skin isnt as dry anymore as he used to have like a flakey substance coming off him like dandruff this has now stopped hence the added oil content to diet is a blood test a good idea or not
That added history is very concerning for allergies and the test for your dog may be a very good idea!~

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
i hear skin testing can be very inaccurate ass organism can be found that are not the cause
That is why skin testing is used as well, example I have given you above.
Please click the "GREEN ACCEPT" if the information I have provided has been of help so I receive credit for helping you. Bonuses are always welcome and appreciated.