Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }

My cat had bright yellow runny poop a few days ago - I watched

My cat had bright yellow runny poop a few days ago - I watched him closely and he got better, even playful but last night had loose bowels (not yellow), not eatting again and just lays around. I can't afford to take him to the vet but I want to help him. He is drinking, thank goodness, and eats a bite or two every once in a while. Please, what can I do for him?
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 4 years ago.
While I cannot diagnose this via the internet I can tell you the following :

In direct answer to your question : Diarrhoea is common in cats and is usually the result of eating something they should not have or a tummy bug of some kind. That said of course other causes are possible such as intestinal parasites or infections.

1. This sort of thing is always a gamble, if you want to be 100% certain you are doing the right thing then you should have your vet check your cat over without delay { And this would be my specific advice since his behaviour has changed and he is not so interested in food and is laying about, as this could be an infection of some kind. } However there are a number of home remedies for diarrhoea in cats, these work well for uncomplicated cases.

2. You might want to try and control the situation with diet alone before you try anything else. This is logical and often works, the thinking here is to give his intestinal tract a complete rest and then bring it gradually back to function. I have often advised my clients at my clinic to do the following :

A. Starve him for 24 hours but make sure he has access to water.

B. The next day feed him four or five small light meals in the day. These meals should be the likes of chicken, fish, scrambled egg etc.

C. If he picks up on this diet gradually reintroduce his normal diet over the next few days.

4. Live yogurt added to the food can often help. Some gastro-enteritis situations are caused by an imbalance in the bacteria in your cat's gut. Live yogurt is full of " good " bacteria and will seed them into your cat's intestinal tract and restore the balance.

Of course if this does not quickly start work or if your cat deteriorates further then you should see your vet without delay if this is at all possible.

If I have not covered your question fully enough or you would like to ask more I will be online for the next hour or so and I will be at your disposal.

Vet Answers Vet.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks so much and I will do this. I was told that he may have gotten into some mice poison (because of the bright yellow poop). Is that what bright yellow poop means and if so what can I do to help him?. There is no blood.
Hello again,

The bright yellow poop is not typical of him swallowing rodent poisons, it is more often caused by some form of intestinal tract infection or other.

That said if there is any possibility at all that mouse poison may be involved you should see a vet without delay as there is often an effective antidote available. Unfortunately there is nothing you can do on a home remedy basis is you suspect this type of accidental poisoning.

Good luck,

Vet Answers Vet.