Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in large and small animal medicine.

How can I stop a neighbors dog from pooping on the sidewalk

Customer Question

How can I stop a neighbor's dog from pooping on the sidewalk by my walk way since he has obviously marked that territory and she will not get up the poop saying her dog did not do it when we have pictures he did. I sent the police over there but they have to actually see the feces coming out of the dog's butt to write a ticket on her. The dog usually does it when I am at work so I can't catch him in the act. It was sheer luck that my daughter caught the dog defecating and took a picture on her camera.
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Jill replied 4 years ago.
Well, one option to consider might be dna testing of the dog feces. There are companies now that will DNA test the dog using a swab inside their mouth and then can match that dna to a poop sample. This is something apartment complexes with animal waste issues have started using (controlled population area so they can test all animals that might be responsible). You may also want to discuss this with the police to see if they'd be willing to help with this.

It can be very difficult to convince a dog not to poop/pee in a particular area they've decided to go in. One option would be cleaning the area thoroughly and moving the offending feces to a more desirable area such as a nearby lawn (though there may not be any desiresable area). I've found it's much easier to focus on praise and positive reinforcement with making a new spot more desiresable (as opposed to punishment and just cleaning up/bleaching of the offending area). Obviously this is not as much of an option in your situation though.

Not sure if this would work as well, but you may be able to get the neighbor to voluntarily agree to testing of the dog if other local dogs are tested or as a way to clear their name in the matter...accomplishing the testing of the individual dog would be the delicate part in this matter it seems.

Hope this helps! If you have further questions please click reply and I will be glad to offer whatever additional advice I can.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The neighbor is a mean spiteful old biddy who will not agree to anything let alone denying her dog is pooping. I thought you may know of some product that would keep the dog away but not hurt the dog.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 4 years ago.
There are commercially available products that can be applied to the concrete that will repel dogs from using the sidewalk or even the lawn. One is called Repell Dog and Cat repellent that can be purchased at any pet store.In your situation, this may be your only hope...

You can also try the housetraining products that will get the dog to defecate on other areas besides the concrete.

Good Luck!
Dr. Loretta, Veterinarian
Experience: 25 years of experience in large and small animal medicine.