Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, Interests: Dermatology, Internal Medicine, Pain Management

my female cat is having bladder problems, cant urinate and

my female cat is having bladder problems, can't urinate and keeps squatting. She has been on antibiotics (2 bottles) marshmellow extract...has blood in her urine, but no infection. I changed to ob cat food but is still blocked. She is fine on the antibiotics but once completed....goes back to the problem. I understand that exrays don't always show crystals. She has lived on wysong uretic for her 10 yrs....but don't know what to do.....would a raw diet help?
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 2 years ago.

Dr. Andy :

Hello

Dr. Andy :

No diet change!

Dr. Andy :

First, you need a urine test to confirm the current urine pH and what type of crystals are present.

Dr. Andy :

Once you know that, your vet will know how to swing the diet to impact the urine pH correctly.

Dr. Andy :

Second, a urine culture needs to be done to identify what bacteria is present during these episodes. 2 reasons why?

Dr. Andy :

1. To confirm there is even an infection? Even if responding to the antibiotic, it may not be the antibiotic that is helping. Cats can get idiopathic cystitis or feline urinary tract disease. It can appear as straining to urinate with blood and no infection. So, it can resolve on its own, sometimes, so maybe its clearing as a result of time and not the antibiotic.

Dr. Andy :

Plus, if there is an infection, the culture and sensitivity test would tell you exactly what is there and the best antibiotic to kill it.

Dr. Andy :

Also, with repeat infection!!!!! make sure your vet is giving you at least 3 weeks of antibiotic, not just 7 to 10 days. Very important

Dr. Andy :

No diet change at this point.

Dr. Andy :

here's some more info that may be very helpful as well:

Dr. Andy :

Urinary Tract Infection

Idiopathic Cystitis

Urethral Plugs

*summary of various conditions that can impact the bladder and urinary tract.

Feline Lower Urinary Tract Disease

Urinary Blockage

Dr. Andy :

Hope that info is helpful
Good Luck

_____________________________ ________________________________

If there is something I have not covered, just let me know.

I greatly appreciate when you click “ACCEPT” if you have found the advice helpful or informative. Receiving bonuses and feedback is happily welcomed.

This is necessary so I may receive credit for assisting you from JustAnswer. Even if you are a subscribing member, it is important to click accept.

REMEMBER: Even after you click "ACCEPT" and your question closes, you can still review our discussion or reply if needed. Unfortunately, I cannot legally prescribe medications or offer a definitive diagnosis without performing a physical examination, which is necessary to establish a client-patient-doctor relationship. I will always try my best to assist you making the best decision for your pet.

After we conclude this question, I can be requested for additional questions through my profile at:

Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 2 years ago.
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I can't get her to drink enough liquids....tried milk, broth and clam juice. One of the other vets suggested science diet. I took her off of the uretic 2 mo. ago cause of a possible food allergy...her nose is always red and she itches it. A month after I switched from uretic to anergen she started this squatting. Then 1 week ago I switched to the science canned diet for
urinary problems...........so I am confused about her food. Checking the ph sounds good but her last urine test showed no infection just blood in it. So........that's were we are at. I recently had a panel of blood work done (2-3 Mo ago) just to check her out...and she was really great..........
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 2 years ago.
You need to move away from these less familiar foods for managing a problem like this...

It's not only about the urine pH. A urinalysis tells a great deal of info:

Urinalysis

We need to know if there are white blood cells present, crystals, etc...

I am actually suspicious that diet may not help at all if your cat is having the idiopathic cystitis condition.
That can be caused by stress!

The fact that the last urine test showed no fection does support cystitis!

So, your cat would most benefit from pain medication like buprenex (given orally), supplementation for stress:

Feliway Spray

or
Pheromone Collar NurtureCalm

Potential treatment options for Idiopathic Cystitis or Feline Lower Urinary Tract Disease include:
1. Phenoxybenzamine
*Helps to relax the urethra to make urinating easier
2. Cosequin for Cats
*May help to protect the inside of the bladder wall
3. Buprenorphine (Buprenex)
*Incredible injectable pain medication that can be given orally to cats in very small amounts.
4. Royal Canin Urinary SO diet or other prescription diet designed to reduce certain
Minerals, change the urine pH, etc…
5. Increased water intake can be beneficial either by using a canned diet or
stimulating the interest in drinking by purchasing a running water kitty fountain.
6. Whenever a urinary tract infection is suspected, the veterinarian should also
Perform a “culture and sensitivity” on the urine at the laboratory to confirm an infection, identify it, and know which antibiotics are best to kill it.

That's about the most I can help.

Please remember to click “accept” if you have found the responses helpful or informative.
My family greatly appreciates it. Thank you XXXXX
Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience: UC Davis graduate, Interests: Dermatology, Internal Medicine, Pain Management