CriticalCareVet, ER/ICU Specialist
Experience:  Emergency and Critical Care Specialist

what causes cats crusty discharge of the eyes?

Category: Veterinary
Expert:  CriticalCareVet replied 4 years ago.
Welcome to JustAnswer! I am a licensed veterinarian and would be glad to help!

While a specific cause is difficult to give based on history alone (no examination possible) - the history would be consistent with a viral/bacterial conjunctivitis, which is often part of the Feline upper respiratory disease syndrome.

With respect to infectious triggers, the most likely causes include:

- Feline chlamydia
- Feline mycoplasma
- Feline Herpesvirus-1 - upper respiratory virus

Cats less commonly have primary eye problems as compared to dogs.

Options for at home care include:

- To try to warm compress the eye with a clean, damp, warm cloth. This will help with inflammation in the area.

- The second recommendation is to try to flush the eye with a sterile saline solution. I am referring to a normal, over the counter saline solution commonly found in the same aisle of the grocery story or drugstore as contact solution. (EXAMPLE HERE).

- If this does not work - seeing your veterinarian for evaluation and likely topical antibiotics would be recommended. A common example is NeoPolyGram (EXAMPLE HERE), Erythromycin, or Terramycin.

I hope this helps!
Please click the "GREEN ACCEPT" button if the information I have provided has been of help so I receive credit for helping you. Bonuses are always welcome and appreciated.

This is necessary so that I can get credit for assisting you and compensated for my time.

Once you click accept, your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed.

Please keep in mind that if you do not list all the important information above (medical history, current medications, previous illness, etc) it is harder for me to give you the most complete information.

With this communication - we are here to guide you in making the best decision for your pet. We are not allowed to diagnose and prescribe medications - rather provide a course of action to speak to your veterinarian about - and any medical therapy and treatment should only be performed after an in-person examination with your veterinarian as a professional-client relationship has not been established on the site.

You can always request me through my profile (HERE), bookmark my page for future help, or beginning your question with For CriticalCareVet