Dr. Gary, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)

My cat has a croupy sounding cough(sounds just like a baby

Customer Question

My cat has a croupy sounding cough(sounds just like a baby with croup) that is intermittent and comes in spells. no vomiting. 100 %normal appetite. normal water consumption. normal elimination bowel and bladder. no fever. normal playfulness. normal purring.

this cough is pittiful, though. no exudate from eyes or nose. i would estimate that he coughs for about 45 seconds to a minute and a half once an hour while he is awake. i hear expiratory wheezing immed after a coughing spell for three or four breaths, but then wheezing goes away, and he is COMPLETLEY ASYMPTOMATIC until the next coughing spell.He goes from coughing to actually purring and contentness very quickly.

this cat has never had this or any illness before. male cat 3 yrs old. 100 percent indoor cat. has had immunizations, but is 18 months behind.
i cant say this for sure..but he may have started this right after we brought a live christmas tree into the house.(allergic bronchospasm?)but i dont think that is it...i think it started before the tree...i remember excessive sneezing...many times repetatively before the cough started....and that was before the tree.

These episodes seem spasmodic and we feel so sorry for rj, but it absolutely amazes me that he can do this coughing and then be his normal self purring, playing and even fighting with his brother and sister cats...

when he coughs..he hunches down and gets into the hairball or vomiting position, so at first we thought it was a gi issue. but he never has any food coming up..not even small amounts of stomach fluid. he spits out no hair balls either.

this has been going on for two weeks now...i think he may be getting better as evidenced by the spells coming less frequently. (we still have the live tree in the house).

we dont want to take him to the vet unless doing so would change the outcome..for example, a virus is a virus and just needs comfort care..... what do you think??
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  CriticalCareVet replied 4 years ago.
Welcome to JustAnswer! I am a licensed veterinarian and would be glad to help!

History alone makes a specific diagnosis difficult.

Regarding your signs, these episodes, coughing, can be consistent with hairballs.

For this reason,
Laxatone is commonly used in cases such as this.

But if the laxatone does not work - aside from hairballs, common reasons for your signs, a cough of this nature, reported would include:

1) Feline Asthma - LINK HERE

2) Heart disease - LINK HERE

3) Feline Upper Respiratory Infection - LINK HERE

If the laxatone does not work - the next step would be for your veterinarian to take an x-ray to help differentiate between the causes above.

I hope this information and links above help.
Please click the "GREEN ACCEPT" button if the information I have provided has been of help so I receive credit for helping you. Bonuses are always welcome and appreciated.

This is necessary so that I can get credit for assisting you and compensated for my time.

Once you click accept, your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed.

Please keep in mind that if you do not list all the important information above (medical history, current medications, previous illness, etc) it is harder for me to give you the most complete information.

With this communication - we are here to guide you in making the best decision for your pet. We are not allowed to diagnose and prescribe medications - rather provide a course of action to speak to your veterinarian about - and any medical therapy and treatment should only be performed after an in-person examination with your veterinarian as a professional-client relationship has not been established on the site.

You can always request me through my profile (HERE) or beginning your question with “For CriticalCareVet

Please click (HERE) for important information.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Relist: Other.
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 4 years ago.
Hi, I see that you relisted the question. I can assist you further if you'd wish.

How long have these coughing episodes been going on?