Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of small animal internal medicine, surgery and preventive medicine.
25161683

My dog lost the strength in her hind legs, what could cause

My dog lost the strength in her hind legs, what could cause this
Hello, I am Dr. Peter a licensed Veterinarian. I would like to help. I need to ask you a few questions to be well informed and give you the best advice. There is no additional charge for information request.

1- Is she able to walk or is she dragging her back legs?
2- Did this come on quickly or has she been showing weakness in her hind legs for a while?
3- Any other symptoms?
4- Is she on any medications?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
It came on suddenly, she is able to walk, but she limps and walks kind of sideways, she has lost a lot of weight, sleeps s lot, and just recently has had diarahhea (1 day). She is on no other medications. She is 13 years old and perfect until just recently. I thought maybe a stroke, but am wondering could it be a virus or infection?
The symptoms that you are describing are consistent with either a pinch nerve along the back secondary to a disc collapse (intervertebral disc disease); thromboembolic (stroke like) is also a possibility. Other possible causes would be a systemic disease like diabetes, abdominal tumors, kidney or liver disease, etc.
In this case, there is not much I can recommend for you to try at home. She will need a hands on exam by a veterinarian and treatment will be dependent on findings. I would highly recommend you consider having her checked as soon as possible. If this is related to a pinch nerve, the quicker she is treated the better the prognosis.

Hope the above helps, if you have additional questions I will be glad to answer them.

Dr. Peter