Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of small animal internal medicine, surgery and preventive medicine.
25161683

Hello, My dog has been sneezing constantly for two days.

My dog has been sneezing constantly for two days. He doesn't sneeze only when he is asleep. This morning I found he was pretty lethargic. He was able to go on for his daily walk, but didn't have as much energy as normal. During the walk, I found he constantly was looking for grass, rocks, and wood to chew and swallow. I didn't let him. His stool is pretty loose with very bad smell. Plus, he didn't finish his breakfast! He left half of it there. My dog is very food driven and he never ever leaves food untouched. His nose and ears and the area in between his hind legs are all hotter than normal. I am very concerned about him. He is a 7 month black and tan bi-color Germany Shepherd. He started to show these symptom two days ago while both my husband and I started to catch a flu/cold virus. Is he affected by our virus? What is the best way to help him? Thank you so much.

Very concerned,
Catherine
Hello, I am Dr. Peter a licensed Veterinarian. I would like to help. I need to ask you a few questions to be well informed and give you the best advice. There is no additional charge for information request.

1- Does he have a nasal discharge?
2- Any coughing?
3- Did he get into anything or eat something out of the ordinary?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for your quick response.

1. I didn't see nasal discharge. His nose is normally moist and feels a bit cold. But this morning is warm/hot and dry.
(Last night and this morning, in addition to his sneezing, I noticed backward sneezing, like breathing backwards in a sneezing manner.)

2. No obvious coughing these two days. He vomited round worms three weeks ago and was treated. Around that time, he puked, about 3-4 times a week. When he puked, he would cough, gag, breath heavily.

3. He is curious about things and will chew them to try them out. But he doesn't normally have to eat grass, rocks, wood, or dirt on the walk or in the yard. He is usually more focused on the fun in the surrounding in his walk. However, around the time he vomited round worms three weeks ago, he would actively seek to go into our backyard and eat grass.

Hope this helps.

Sneezing is often a sign of either something either irritating the nasal passages, allergies, respiratory infections, or even clearing up the nostrils to name a few causes. In a young dog irritants, allergens, a cold are common causes.
Having a history of round worms and now having loose stool, it is important round worms are rule out among other parasites. Often we have to deworm a couple of times. This is what you can do:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol.
2- Change his diet to rice (75%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (25%) until the stool is back to normal then wean back into regular diet.
3- Supplement with a probiotic (fortiflora), these are friendly bacterias that help with regularity.
4- I am uncertain what was used to deworm. Consider getting him dewormed again. I love to use Fenbendazole (panacur) because offers a wide spectrum against common intestinal parasites that affect dogs. You can buy Fenbendazole (panacur), give it once a day at label dose for 3 days, repeat after 3 weeks.
5- For the sneezing, apply 1-2 drops of sterile water in each nostril. Open the how water in your bathroom and allow him to breath the steam/vapor for 5-10 minutes; do this 2-3 times a day. This will clear and hydrate is nasal passages and possibly resolve the sneezing. In addition, you can give Benadryl (diphenhydramine) 1mg per pound body weight every 12 hours.
6- If after doing the above you do not see improvement within 24-48 hours, have him checked by your family veterinarian.

Note: Humans and dogs do not share viruses of bacterias that cause respiratory infection. You having the flu will not affect your dog or viceversa.

Hope the above helps, if you have additional questions I will be glad to answer them.

Dr. Peter