Dr. Drew
Dr. Drew, Veterinarian
Experience:  Small Animal Medicine and Surgery
6340741

My dog ate part of a tennis ball. Do I need to do anything

Customer Question

My dog ate part of a tennis ball. Do I need to do anything or watch for anything?
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Drew replied 4 years ago.
Hello, welcome to JustAnswer! I am a licensed veterinarian, and I'll be happy to help you in any way I can. Depending on how large the piece that was eaten was, the possible issues may range from complete blockage of the intestinal tract, to mild irritation, to nothing at all. Of course, a blockage is quite serious -- and typically will reqire surgery. Signs of a blockage include vomiting, loss of appetite, abdominal pain, and lethargy.

Less serious digestive upset may cause diarrhea, or a decrease in appetite, but not typically a complete loss of appetite or repeated vomiting.

It is important to seek veterinary care if any of the above signs of blockage appear, and time is of the essence, since delays can lead to life threatening complications.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Can you tell me how quickly signs of blockage typically appear?
Expert:  Dr. Drew replied 4 years ago.
Signs of blockage can appear within 24 hours, but can also take many weeks or months to appear in some cases. I've seen some dogs develop blockages from items they swallowed many weeks or months earlier.