Dr. John
Dr. John, Small animal veterinarian, ER vet
Experience:  significant surgical and medicine background, currently working as emergency clinic veterinarian
22143564

My dog is shaking and twitching but not whining (just laying

My dog is shaking and twitching but not whining (just laying on a pillow) He has just started doing this in the last 10 minutes but he has seemed like he had a cold for the past few days. This is the first time it has happened, what could be the problem?
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. John replied 2 years ago.

Dr. John :

Thank you for your question. Is he aware of his environment? Responsive to you?

Customer:

Yes, but very lethargic

Customer:

slow movements

Dr. John :

And shaking and twitching?

Dr. John :

Full body?

Dr. John :

Is he eating and drinking?

Dr. John :

Any vomiting and/or diarrhea?

Customer:

Yeah full body

Customer:

not that I have noticed

Customer:

he has been eating and drinking no problem

Dr. John :

Is it possible he has gotten into any toxins?

Dr. John :

Are you able to take a body temperature (rectal unfortunately only way it is accurate, with a soft digital thermometer)

Customer:

that's what I wondered but I haven't seen anything he could have gotten into. How long would that take to take effect? He was outside all day yesterday and could have eaten something

Customer:

he has been with me all day and hasn't eaten anything today

Customer:

no i don't have a thermometer

Dr. John :

Toxins typically take anywhere from 6-24 hours to see symptoms due to the toxin ingestion

Customer:

I see, it's possible he ate something yesterday

Dr. John :

Well the symptoms you describe are certainly concerning. My top two concerns would be a toxin ingestion/exposure or a central neurologic disease

Dr. John :

If he is so cold to the point of shivering this could be something else, but still would be very concerning as animals should be able to maintain their body temperature very well

Customer:

if it was a neurological disease wouldn't we have shown in before?

Dr. John :

Not necessarily. It could be from an infection or an immune-mediated process.

Dr. John :

It doesn't sound like seizures (because he is aware and responsive), however seizure disorders such as epilepsy can show up at any age, and typically between age 1-5 for the first time

Customer:

Hmm - it doesn't seem to be significant shaking. More like he's shivering, especially when he lays down

Customer:

Ok, well he just jumped up and ran outside to pee and he seems to be a little better already. he is moving around and wagging his tail again

Customer:

the shaking seems to be gone already

Customer:

i don't know why it changed so fast

Dr. John :

Well that is a good sign. Any limping or painful areas? Sometimes shaking is a sign of pain as well.

Dr. John :

Will he take a treat from you?

Customer:

yeah, I just gave him one and he ate it right away

Customer:

and drank some water right after

Customer:

no limping and the shaking seems to be gone

Dr. John :

Feel him all around and make sure there are no painful areas...

Dr. John :

If you aren't able to elicit any pain from him whatsoever, then this is possible this was either a toxin ingestion (that hopefully is being cleared well since you saw such a dramatic improvement) or a waxing and waning neurologic condition.

Customer:

I checked him everywhere, no pain noises

Customer:

right now he is 100% back to normal

Dr. John :

If you don't see any further abnormal behavior, I wouldn't worry about this and just assume he possibly got into something that has resolved (assuming he continues to eat and drink, have energy, act completely normal)

Customer:

Ok, i'll keep an eye on him for the rest of the night. Thank-you!

Dr. John :

If you do see relapse of this behavior, I would strongly consider having him evaluated for neurologic disease

Dr. John :

Any drugs in the house or that he could be exposed to such as marijuana?

Customer:

no, not any that I can think of

Dr. John :

Marijuana can cause ataxia and some shaking, but in a dog his size probably wouldn't cause anything else and would resolve on its own..

Dr. John :

Okay, just wanted to check - we see this all the time at the emergency clinic!!

Customer:

no nothing like that

Customer:

and I checked the cabinets and there was nothing that looked like he might have gotten into (cleaners and such)

Dr. John :

Well good luck with everything, if the shaking/tremoring relapses, have a neurologic workup to rule out concerning underlying things such as immune mediated disease and central nervous system infection

Dr. John :

Okay great

Customer:

ok I will do that.

Dr. John :

Well hopefully this was an isolated incident and you won't see anything further, glad it resolved so rapidly (that is often a good sign)

Dr. John :

Good luck with him!

Dr. John :

___________________________________________________________________________________________________
Please click the "
ACCEPT" button when you are satisfied with the answer. This will ensure that I am compensated for helping you. Bonuses and positive feedback are very much appreciated.

Understand that the purpose of this communication is to guide you in making informed decisions for your pet with recommendations of diagnostics and treatments that you can discuss with your veterinarian, as a patient-client relationship has not been established on the site (this requires a physical examination).

You can always request me through my profile (Dr. John) if you would like further assistance in the future with your pets.

Customer:

thanks again!

Dr. John :

welcome :-)

Experience: significant surgical and medicine background, currently working as emergency clinic veterinarian