CriticalCareVet
CriticalCareVet, ER/ICU Specialist
Experience:  Emergency and Critical Care Specialist
17828336

What to feed the dog after throwing up during the night ti

What to feed the dog after throwing up during the night time?
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  CriticalCareVet replied 2 years ago.
Welcome to JustAnswer! I am a licensed veterinarian and would be glad to help!

After a night of vomiting - If you are able to see the veterinarian, that would be best - as an x-ray can make us feel much better - noting that this would not be a blockage - rather just an upset stomach.

Regardless - when this happens, for an upset stomach - often we choose medications to settle the stomach and help with the discomfort.

For you now, at home - you should remove food and water for 12-24 hours.

If the vomiting stops - considerations would then be:

1) One option would be a veterinary prescription bland diet called Hill’s I/D (LINK HERE)

The second option would be a home-cooked bland diet. A common bland diet is boiled white rice and either boiled white meat chicken or boiled hamburger. Whichever protein source is chosen (chicken or hamburger) it is recommended to offer a mixture of 2/3 rice and 1/3 of the protein source.

If the diet is tolerated, and once clinical improvement is seen, it is recommended to SLOWLY transition back to the normal diet.

When you start to transition to the normal diet, you can initially offer a food mixture with the majority being the boiled rice and meat and have a small amount of normal dog food mixed in.

Each day you can gradually decrease the amount of rice and meat and gradually increase the amount of normal dog food in the mixture.

We recommend a slow transition over 3-5 days to reduce possible stomach upset.

2) Famotidine (Pepcid A/C) - LINK HERE

But again - if this is not getting better, or you are noticing loss of appetite, lethargy, continued vomiting, worse signs of discomfort - or blood in the stool - those would be indications to see your veterinarian for evaluation.

I hope this information helps! Please let me know if I can clarify anything for you - or you have other questions.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Please click the "GREEN ACCEPT" button if the information I have provided has been of help so I receive credit for helping you. Bonuses are always welcome and appreciated.

This is necessary so that I can get credit for assisting you and compensated for my time.

Once you click accept, your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed.

Please keep in mind that if you do not list all the important information above (medical history, current medications, previous illness, etc) it is harder for me to give you the most complete information.

With this communication - we are here to guide you in making the best decision for your pet. We are not allowed to diagnose and prescribe medications - rather provide a course of action to speak to your veterinarian about - and any medical therapy and treatment should only be performed after an in-person examination with your veterinarian as a professional-client relationship has not been established on the site.

You can always request me through my profile (HERE), bookmark my page for future help, or beginning your question with For CriticalCareVet
CriticalCareVet, ER/ICU Specialist
Experience: Emergency and Critical Care Specialist
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Would a raw egg or scrambled egg be okay to help settle the dog's stomach???