Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  13 years of small animal veterinary medicine
14018973

Following a nasty cut to her head, I gave my 139 lb lab/blue

Following a nasty cut to her head, I gave my 139 lb lab/blue tick hound mix two acepromazine (25 mg.) each yesterday at 6 a.m. She is still really out of it, seems confused, sleeping 6 hours at a time. I had to hand feed her to get her to eat, same with water. Will this wear off in time? Anything I can do to help her?
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 2 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer. So the acepromazine was given over 24 hours ago? How does the cut look at this time? Still open and oozing?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
There are actually three cuts. One (about the size of a quarter) is a cut in the middle of a patch of hair that is gone. Two smaller ones, both on face. Not sure if she was in a fight (we live in a rural area ... could be Raccoon). I cleaned them well and put ointment (bacitracin) on them. Put ice compress on the largest, but as the bleeding (not profuse) didn't stop right away, a Vet had recommended in the past to give her teh acepromazine so she'd rest. Right now, all cuts have scabbed over, none are hot or seem infected.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Both pills were given to her at 5:30 a.m. yesterday. I think it's the amount of time that's passed and her still being so out of it that's freaking me out.
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 2 years ago.
Ok. That dose of acepromazine should have worn off by now. She may be more dazed / tired from the cause of the injuries. Is it possible she could be a hit by car or fell off of something and just have more injuries to here than we realize? She could have a concussion like situation. As far as helping her, the best is an exam by your vet. This can get any other treatments going like pain meds and antibiotics. As far as a home, doing what your doing is all that can be done. I'd let her rest and not be stimulated like your doing.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
You mention concussion. I've been able to get her outside and she seems to need to lean (against the car, against a tree.) She is walking, but when we got back in the house, she went into a corner and put her nose against the wall and rested her head like that for minutes. She's again laying down, resting. Finding a Vet today will be difficult, but I'll go to an Emergency On-Call Vet if recommended. Should I give it another day and take her to her regular Vet on Monday or seek treatment sooner?
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 2 years ago.
Here in lies the unknown. It is always better and safer to err on the side of caution. Getting her seen will allow a physical to be done and then based on it further recommendations. They can hopefully rule out more serious things and then get her on pain meds and antibiotics to keep the cuts from getting infected.
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience: 13 years of small animal veterinary medicine