CriticalCareVet
CriticalCareVet, ER/ICU Specialist
Experience:  Emergency and Critical Care Specialist
17828336

We have a 10 lbs. toy poodle with teeth problem is asprin a

We have a 10 lbs. toy poodle with teeth problem is asprin a good pain relief for her, is it safe and how much? Thanks
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  CriticalCareVet replied 2 years ago.
Welcome to JustAnswer! I am a licensed veterinarian and would be glad to help!

Is she on any other medication at this time or in the past 2 weeks?

=-
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No
Regarding pain management in dogs, common options to consider include:

1) NSAIDS (like ibuprofen - BUT SAFE FOR DOGS!)
- Rimadyl (LINK HERE)
- Deramaxx (LINK HERE)
- Meloxicam (LINK HERE)

2) Tramadol (an opiod like morphine used in dogs) - LINK HERE

There are a few reasons we do not use human pain medications in dogs:

1) They are not as effective in controlling pain.

2) They have more side effects in dogs - including stomach upset, stomach ulceration, and even organ issues such as kidney or liver. Aleve for example can cause kidney failure in dogs even at very low doses. They are extremely sensitive to many human drugs.

3) They interact with veterinary drugs - meaning if you give aspirin for example, and then see your veterinarian tomorrow - if they want to prescribe a pain medication, they wont be able to prescribe a dog NSAID for a week or more for safety reasons.

With that said, while most veterinarians do not like the use of human over the counter pain medications such as Tylenol (acetaminophen) or human ibuprofen, although some have good experience with aspirin (LINK HERE)

A typical aspirin dose is 5 to 10 mg per pound (10 to 20 mg/kg) twice daily for dogs.

When using NSAIDS or aspirin, often Pepcid A/C (famotidine) LINK HERE is used as well to reduce the risk of stomach upset.

The typical dose administered is 0.25 to 0.5 mg per pound (0.5 to 1.0 mg/kg) every 12 to 24 hours

I hope this information is helpful!
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Please click the "GREEN ACCEPT" button if the information I have provided has been of help so I receive credit for helping you. Bonuses are always welcome and appreciated.

This is necessary so that I can get credit for assisting you and compensated for my time.

Once you click accept, your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed.

Please keep in mind that if you do not list all the important information above (medical history, current medications, previous illness, etc) it is harder for me to give you the most complete information.

With this communication - we are here to guide you in making the best decision for your pet. We are not allowed to diagnose and prescribe medications - rather provide a course of action to speak to your veterinarian about - and any medical therapy and treatment should only be performed after an in-person examination with your veterinarian as a professional-client relationship has not been established on the site.

You can always request me through my profile (HERE) or beginning your question with “For CriticalCareVet

Please click (HERE) for important information.
CriticalCareVet, ER/ICU Specialist
Experience: Emergency and Critical Care Specialist