CriticalCareVet, ER/ICU Specialist
Experience:  Emergency and Critical Care Specialist

What does it mean when a dog keeps licking the floor or furniture

What does it mean when a dog keeps licking the floor or furniture and salivating?
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  CriticalCareVet replied 4 years ago.
Welcome to JustAnswer! I am a licensed veterinarian and would be glad to help!

When did this start?

Is he eating?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
It started last night and stopped for a while but he was up twice at night. He is eating and drinking. No vomiting but frantic licking on the floor or furniture. He wants to go out and eat grass. He just had his yearly physical and he's perfectly healthy
These are typical signs of stomach upset and nausea.

Therapies to consider include:

1) Starting a bland diet.

One option would be a veterinary prescription bland diet called Hill’s I/D (LINK HERE)

The second option would be a home-cooked bland diet. A common bland diet is boiled white rice and either boiled white meat chicken or boiled hamburger. Whichever protein source is chosen (chicken or hamburger) it is recommended to offer a mixture of 2/3 rice and 1/3 of the protein source.

If the diet is tolerated, and once clinical improvement is seen, it is recommended to SLOWLY transition back to the normal diet.

When you start to transition to the normal diet, you can initially offer a food mixture with the majority being the boiled rice and meat and have a small amount of normal dog food mixed in.

Each day you can gradually decrease the amount of rice and meat and gradually increase the amount of normal dog food in the mixture.

We recommend a slow transition over 3-5 days to reduce possible stomach upset.

2) Antacids for stomach upset such as Famotidine (Pepcid A/C) - LINK HERE or Prilosec OTC (Omeprazole) - LINK HERE

3) Pedialyte for hydration - LINK HERE

4) Prescription medications for nausea from your veterinarian such as Cerenia (LINK HERE) or Zofran (LINK HERE)

5) Probiotics can also be considered - LINK HERE

For signs that do not resolve with supportive care alone, tests considered looking for other causes (or confirming the diagnosis) would include:

- Evaluation of the feces for abnormal bacteria or parasites (LINK HERE)

- Bloodwork to check electrolytes and organ values (LINK HERE)

Hopefully this is just more of an upset stomach (and nausea) and will resolve with a little supportive care and time.

I hope this information helps!
Please click the "GREEN ACCEPT" if the information I have provided has been of help so I receive credit for helping you. Bonuses are always welcome and appreciated.

This is necessary so that I can get credit for assisting you and compensated for my time.

Once you click accept, your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed.

Please keep in mind that if you do not list all the important information above (medical history, current medications, previous illness, etc) it is harder for me to give you the most complete information.

With this communication - we are here to guide you in making the best decision for your pet. We are not allowed to diagnose and prescribe medications - rather provide a course of action to speak to your veterinarian about - and any medical therapy and treatment should only be performed after an in-person examination with your veterinarian as a professional-client relationship has not been established on the site.

You can always request me through my profile (HERE) or beginning your question with “For CriticalCareVet

Please click (HERE) for important information.