Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of small animal internal medicine, surgery and preventive medicine.

I have a puppy approximatly 5 weeks old that is constipated.

I have a puppy approximatly 5 weeks old that is constipated. He was impacted but I got that out and he has had 3 small movements but seems to be having trouble still what can i do or feed him for the next 24 hours untill the vet is open?
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 4 years ago.
Hello, I am Dr. Peter a licensed Veterinarian. I would like to help. I need to ask you a few questions to be well informed and give you the best advice. There is no additional charge for information request.

1- What do you feed him?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
crushed puppy chow in watered down evaporated milk
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 4 years ago.
The key to constipation is adequate hydration. In puppies constipation is usually the result of a lack of water in the food. You need to make the food more dilute with the evaporated milk. For now, this is what you can do:
1- Get him to drink plain milk or chicken broth.
2- As a stool softener you can give him 1/4/ of a teaspoon of mineral oil every 12 hours. You can find mineral oil over the counter in any pharmacy.

Hope the above helps, if you have additional questions I will be glad to answer them.

Dr. Peter
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Would olive oil work for tonight?
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 4 years ago.
Yes, you can use olive oil; 1/4 of a teaspoon.