CriticalCareVet
CriticalCareVet, ER/ICU Specialist
Experience:  Emergency and Critical Care Specialist
17828336

my yorkie has sores and very dry flaky skin rash

Customer Question

Category: Veterinary
Expert:  CriticalCareVet replied 5 years ago.
Welcome to JustAnswer! I am a licensed veterinarian and would be glad to help!

1) When did this start?

2) Is he scratching?

3) Is he on flea prevention?

-
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

about 2 weeks ago

he scratching all the time

no fleas

Causes to consider would include:
- Bacterial skin infection (Pyoderma - LINK)
- Fleas
- Mites (Demodectic Mange or Sarcoptic Mange)

Often in these cases, an easy way to differentiate the causes above is a good physical examination and a skin scraping (LINK HERE) to look at under the microscope.

If a bacterial skin infection is diagnosed, either primary or secondary, antibiotics will be used.
Common antibiotics for these cases include:
- Clavamox (LINK HERE)
- Cephalexin (LINK HERE)

While we then are able to give direct therapy for the specific cause above based on the evaluation and testing, other options we consider to help in with the signs of discomfort include:

1) Special shampoo formulas, such as an oatmeal shampoo or other soothing shampoos.
EXAMPLE 1
EXAMPLE 2

2) With dry skin and irritation, supplements such as Omega 3 and Omega 6 fatty acids may also help:
EXAMPLE 1
EXAMPLE 2

3) For very localized lesions, a topical ointment / antibiotic can be considered (EXAMPLE HERE)

4) Often in these cases we also consider treatments such as steroids (Prednisone - LINK HERE) or antihistamines such as Benadryl (LINK HERE) or Loratidine (LINK HERE) to help with the general skin irritation (when opening the link, close the pop-up to read about the medications listed)

I hope this information is helpful.
___________________________________________________________________________________________________
Please click the "GREEN ACCEPT" if the information I have provided has been of help so I receive credit for helping you. Bonuses are always welcome and appreciated.

This is necessary so that I can get credit for assisting you and compensated for my time.

Once you click accept, your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed.

Please keep in mind that if you do not list all the important information above (medical history, current medications, previous illness, etc) it is harder for me to give you the most complete information.

With this communication - we are here to guide you in making the best decision for your pet. We are not allowed to diagnose and prescribe medications - rather provide a course of action to speak to your veterinarian about - and any medical therapy and treatment should only be performed after an in-person examination with your veterinarian as a professional-client relationship has not been established on the site.

You can always request me through my profile (HERE) or beginning your question with “For CriticalCareVet
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
so do i need to take him to vet and pay more money than the 18 i just paid for this vague answer
Hi there,

What tests were already performed making the diagnosis to direct more specific treatment?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
no test have been done as i have not taken him to a vet, thought i might could avoid that cost with something i could get at a pet supply like pets mart
As listed above, there are many options to consider as listed below which can be purchased over the counter.

Please understand - there is not only 1 specific cause for the signs you report.

A skin issues is not always 1 only cause. We try our best to give the most likely causes and therefore the most likely treatments to consider and help.

EXAMPLE 1
EXAMPLE 2

EXAMPLE 1
EXAMPLE 2

I hope this information is helpful.