Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of small animal internal medicine, surgery and preventive medicine.
25161683

My dog is bleeding from her mouth and I dont know why

Customer Question

My dog is bleeding from her mouth and I don't know why
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 5 years ago.
Hello, I am Dr. Peter a licensed Veterinarian. I would like to help. I need to ask you a few questions to be well informed and give you the best advise. There is no additional charge for information request.

1- Can you open her mouth and look at her gums, teeth or under the tongue?
2- How long has this been going on?
3- How is she breathing?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
We are trying to look. It happened yesterday for a short while and then it stopped. But now she is licking her leg and i can see blood
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 5 years ago.
Ok let me know if you see something.

How are her teeth?

Is she breathing any different?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
She has only 4 teeth left
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 5 years ago.
Have you been able to identify if the blood is coming from the gums, teeth, tongue or is she bringing up blood?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
We can't tell..the top of her tongue is red all the way to the back and she keeps licking her right leg, which is all wet and red. I see no difficulty breathing or change in her energy level. She bled quite a bit yesterday as evidenced by the blood on her bed
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 5 years ago.
1- Can you take a look at her leg and see if the blood is coming from the leg instead?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I suspected that and am pretty sure it's coming from her mouth.. the blood on the back of the tongue is bright red.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 5 years ago.
If you can not identify the source of the blood in the oral cavity the blood could be coming from her esophagus, stomach or respiratory tract. I would highly recommend having her checked by a veterinarian to determine the exact source of the blood. If you have access to ER vet, have her checked tonight. If you do not have access to ER vet, start her on Pepcid AC (famotidine) 0.25mg per pound body weight every 12 hours. Follow up with your family veterinarian in the morning.

Hope the above helps, if you have additional questions I will be glad to answer them.

Dr. Peter
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
thank you
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 5 years ago.
Your Welcome.