CriticalCareVet, ER/ICU Specialist
Experience:  Emergency and Critical Care Specialist

i think my dog licked some transmission fluid she is acting

i think my dog licked some transmission fluid she is acting weird
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  CriticalCareVet replied 5 years ago.
Welcome to JustAnswer! I am a licensed veterinarian and would be glad to help!

Transmission fluid is a highly refined hydro-treated based oil.

For these cases we do NOT recommend making her vomit - as a big concern is aspiration and therefore pneumonia.

We can see gastrointestinal signs such as vomiting and diarrhea as a result of this ingestion.

Common therapies to consider include:

1) A bland diet such as boiled chicken and rice (2/3 rice and 1/3 chicken).

2) With diarrhea, higher fiber diets such as Hill’s W/D or even adding a fiber source such as bran or canned pumpkin (not pumpkin pie filling) to the normal diet to increase the fiber content to help firm up the stool.

3) Pedialyte for hydration - LINK HERE

Otherwise - this is not toxic to organs or causing other illness.

I hope this information helps!
Please click the "GREEN ACCEPT" if the information I have provided has been of help so I receive credit for helping you. Bonuses are always welcome and appreciated.

Once you click accept, your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed.

Please keep in mind that if you do not list all the important information above (medical history, current medications, previous illness, etc) it is harder for me to give you the most complete information.

With this communication - we are here to guide you in making the best decision for your pet. We are not allowed to diagnose and prescribe medications - rather provide a course of action to speak to your veterinarian about - and any medical therapy and treatment should only be performed after an in-person examination with your veterinarian as a professional-client relationship has not been established on the site.

You can always request me through my profile (HERE) or beginning your question with “For CriticalCareVet