CriticalCareVet
CriticalCareVet, ER/ICU Specialist
Experience:  Emergency and Critical Care Specialist
17828336

lhasa apso sounds like he is choking

my lhasa apso has been acting and sounding like he is choking which he always seems to do for the last few years but today he is also running around almost crazed and picking up anything off of the floor or ground and eating it wildly. after which he starts huffing and snorting again. he did this this afternoon then calmed down and now he is doing it again, what can i do for him?
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  CriticalCareVet replied 3 years ago.
Welcome to JustAnswer! I am a licensed veterinarian and would be glad to help!

Does the episode you are seeing look or sound like this - CLICK HERE

-
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
yes the video you sent sounds like him. he has maybe an episode when he gets real excited but not often, but last night it was a different thing with the running around trying to eat anything in sight. other that that it isnt an everyday occurance.
Excellent!

Regarding the noise you are describing / seeing -If it looks similar to the video above - it is likely what is called a "Reverse Sneeze" (LINK HERE).

Regarding the reverse sneeze - in a VAST majority of cases, this is thought to be cause by inflammation or irritation of the pharynx (back of the mouth). Are other causes possible, yes - but this is consistent with a reverse sneeze.

Often in these cases we consider treatments such as short courses of steroids (Prednisone - LINK HERE) or antihistamines such as Benadryl (LINK HERE). (when opening the link, close the pop-up to read about the medications listed)

I hope this information helps!

___________________________________________________________________________________________________
Please click the "GREEN ACCEPT" if the information I have provided has been of help so I receive credit for helping you. Bonuses are always welcome and appreciated.

Once you click accept, your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed.

Please keep in mind that if you do not list all the important information above (medical history, current medications, previous illness, etc) it is harder for me to give you the most complete information.

With this communication - we are here to guide you in making the best decision for your pet. We are not allowed to diagnose and prescribe medications - rather provide a course of action to speak to your veterinarian about - and any medical therapy and treatment should only be performed after an in-person examination with your veterinarian as a professional-client relationship has not been established on the site.

You can always request me through my profile (HERE) or beginning your question with “For CriticalCareVet
CriticalCareVet, ER/ICU Specialist
Experience: Emergency and Critical Care Specialist