CriticalCareVet
CriticalCareVet, ER/ICU Specialist
Experience:  Emergency and Critical Care Specialist
17828336

why is my dog eating the dirt out of my potted plants

why is my dog eating the dirt out of my potted plants?
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  CriticalCareVet replied 3 years ago.
Welcome to JustAnswer! I am a licensed veterinarian and would be glad to help!

1) When did this start?

2) What is the normal diet?

-
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
about 6 mo. ago 2 cups of eulkanuba lamb and rice
The general term for this description is PICA (LINK HERE)

Some dogs do this for behavioral reasons - to get attention or due to anxiety. Depending on the texture or material the taste at times can be salty and enticing for dogs.

The question remains - if there is a systemic reason for it, what could that be?

- Low red blood cell count - anemia. Dogs with a low red blood cell count may lick or eat abnormal things such as dirt, or bricks and concrete. This is because the dog feels like there is an iron deficiency from lower than normal red blood cells.

- Electrolyte deficiencies can do this as well, but this is not common.

If you have any suspicion that there may be a low red blood cell count (pale gums, lethargic, fast heart rate, fast breathing, etc.) then I would recommend making an appointment to see your veterinarian.

A quick blood test can look at the red blood cell count, and potentially look for other diseases or problems such as electrolyte abnormalities.

But in most of these cases, this is behavioral in dogs, not due to a medical condition and rarely serious.

I hope this information helps!
___________________________________________________________________________________________________
Please click the "GREEN ACCEPT" if the information I have provided has been of help so I receive credit for helping you. Bonuses are always welcome and appreciated.

Once you click accept, your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed.

Please keep in mind that if you do not list all the important information above (medical history, current medications, previous illness, etc) it is harder for me to give you the most complete information.

With this communication - we are here to guide you in making the best decision for your pet. We are not allowed to diagnose and prescribe medications - rather provide a course of action to speak to your veterinarian about - and any medical therapy and treatment should only be performed after an in-person examination with your veterinarian as a professional-client relationship has not been established on the site.

You can always request me through my profile (HERE) or beginning your question with “For CriticalCareVet
CriticalCareVet, ER/ICU Specialist
Experience: Emergency and Critical Care Specialist