Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  12 years of small animal internal medicine, surgery and preventive medicine.

My cat has been Bleeding and licking her anus for the past

Customer Question

My cat has been Bleeding and licking her anus for the past four days. I simply won't have the money to take her to the vet until Friday. What should I do in the meantime?
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Hello, I am Dr. Peter a licensed Veterinarian. I would like to help. I need to ask you a few questions to be well informed and give you the best advise. There is no additional charge for information request.

1- Did she have diarrhea?
2- Any vomiting?
3- Did she get into anything or eat something out of the ordinary?
4- Any pre existing medical conditions?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
did you get my reply?
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
No, I am sorry I did not get your reply, I have repeated the questions below. Thanks.

1- Did she have diarrhea?
2- Any vomiting?
4- Any pre existing medical conditions?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I don't remember her having diarrhea?

I do remember her vomiting two weeks ago after she was in heat. Yes, I need to get her spayed. She is 8 years old.

I took her to the Vet last year for skin lesions and the Vet prescribed Clavamox.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
1- Where did you see the blood in the feces or around the rectum?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I saw a pinkish liquid dripping from her behind ( I can't say it was tottally from her rectum).

There were a lot of red spots on my Bed.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Is it possible if you can check and see if this blood is coming from her vagina?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
She's under my bed right now. There hasn't been that much blood today. Only two small spots. I do see her licking her anus a lot.

Yesterday I gave here a small amount of Amoxicillin (I mixed it with some of her food).

I'm not sure if it helped. but I was desperate...
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
1- How much does she weigh?
2- How many milligrams are the Amoxicillin you have?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
From last time I took her to the Vet. She weight 11-14 pounds.

I gave her half of a Amoxicillin 250 mg capsule. I mixed it with her food but she barely ate it after eating a little bit of it. I'm sure she didn't have much.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
The symptoms that you are describing are a concern because it could be she has an infection of the uterus called a "pyometra." This is a very serious infection and could be fatal if untreated, this is a surgical emergency. Less likely it could be secondary to a urinary infection, bladder stones or the blood is coming from the rectum secondary to infections, inflammation, foreign body, etc.
In this case, I would highly recommend having her checked by a veterinarian. If you can not afford or do not have access to ER vet, this is what you can do:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol. Keep her on the Amoxicillin half of the 250mg every 12 hours.

2- Change her diet to rice (75%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (25%) until the stool is back to normal then wean back into regular diet.

3- Follow up with a veterinarian as soon as you can.

Hope the above helps, if you have additional questions I will be glad to answer them.

Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience: 12 years of small animal internal medicine, surgery and preventive medicine.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Can I send you a picture of my Cat's Lower area?
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
I appreciate a picture, but, it is not going to tell me the exact source of the blood. She needs to have an xray of her abdominal cavity to rule out or rule in a pyometra. In the meantime, keep her on the Amoxicillin as previously discussed.