Dr. Drew
Dr. Drew, Veterinarian
Experience:  Small Animal Medicine and Surgery

What does it mean, if my cat is sneezing blood

What does it mean, if my cat is sneezing blood?
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Drew replied 5 years ago.
Hello, welcome to JustAnswer! I am a licensed veterinarian, and I'll be happy to help you in any way I can. Sneezing of blood, in an elderly cat, can have a few possible causes, but the most common, unfortunately, is cancer in the nasal passages or sinuses. Other possible causes include fungal infection, bacterial infection, or an inhaled foreign object, but these all usually cause a yellow-green discharge in addition to blood being seen. Often a tumor will only appear with blood from the nostrils or while sneezing.

Occasionally severe dental problems can also cause similar signs, but usually there's the same yellow-green discharge that is seen with the infections mentioned above.

Typically, x-rays of the head would be the first diagnostic step, followed by CT scan or MRI if finances permit. Unfortunately the prognosis is guarded, to poor, in most cases of nasal cancer.