How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask CriticalCareVet Your Own Question
CriticalCareVet
CriticalCareVet, ER/ICU Specialist
Category: Veterinary
Satisfied Customers: 63982
Experience:  Emergency and Critical Care Specialist
17828336
Type Your Veterinary Question Here...
CriticalCareVet is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My dog just ate rat poison. I already induced vomiting by giving

Resolved Question:

My dog just ate rat poison. I already induced vomiting by giving her hidrogen peroxide and she even vomit this mornig's breakfast. Do I need to keep inducing vomiting. I can't afford to take her to the vet so please give me advice asap.
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  CriticalCareVet replied 5 years ago.
Welcome to JustAnswer! I am a licensed veterinarian and would be glad to help!

1) When was this ingested?

2) Can you tell me what the active ingredient is in the poison?
-
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I would say an hour ago

I don't know the ingredients on the poison. Unfortunately it was thrown away.

Expert:  CriticalCareVet replied 5 years ago.
The most common type of rat poison is the clotting abnormality one.

Unfortunately there are 2 other less common but readily available types:

- Kidney failure
- Neurologal

Again - The most common is an anticoagulant that causes animals to bleed to death. It accomplishes this by inhibiting Vitamin K metabolism. It takes 48 hours after ingestion for clotting test abnormalities to develop, and an additional 24 hours before clinical bleeding to develop.

It takes at least 2-3 days for your dog to get sick after ingesting this possible toxin.

If you wanted to treat for that, Vitamin K (LINK HERE) can be tried.

There is no other specific treatment for the other 2 types I list above.

I hope this information helps!
___________________________________________________________________________________________________
Please click the "GREEN ACCEPT" if the information I have provided has been of help so I receive credit for helping you. Bonuses are always welcome and appreciated.


Once you click accept, your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed.

Please keep in mind that if you do not list all the important information above (medical history, current medications, previous illness, etc) it is harder for me to give you the most complete information.

With this communication - we are here to guide you in making the best decision for your pet. We are not allowed to diagnose and prescribe medications - rather provide a course of action to speak to your veterinarian about - and any medical therapy and treatment should only be performed after an in-person examination with your veterinarian as a professional-client relationship has not been established on the site.

You can always request me through my profile (HERE) or beginning your question with “For CriticalCareVet
CriticalCareVet and other Veterinary Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
I need to know how to access a vitamin K1 without a prescription. I can't afford to go to the vet. Should I induce more vomiting. My dos ate rat poison and I allready induce vomiting with hidrogene peroxide. The vomit even today's breakfast. Should I keep inducing it?
Expert:  CriticalCareVet replied 5 years ago.
It can be purchased at te local health food store or grocery store.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
should I induced more vomiting?
Expert:  CriticalCareVet replied 5 years ago.
If the vomit was clear at the end - likely not.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
I need more information. Should I induce more vomiting? When can I allow them to drink water and eat again?
Expert:  CriticalCareVet replied 5 years ago.
1) Vomiting should only be induced if the previous vomiting did not result in a clear liquid.

If there was still a lot of material / toxin present Iwould induce more.

2) Food and water can be started 2-3 hours later.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
There was a clear foam in their vomit and also all they ate this morning. Should I make them vomit until there is no food matter whatsoever? Is there a risk of inducing it again by giving them too much hidrogene peroxide?
Expert:  CriticalCareVet replied 5 years ago.
Yes - too much peroxide can cause gastric irritation and ulceration and is not recommended more than 2 doses.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
So should I give them one more dose of peroxide until there is only white foam. And do I still need the vitamin K?
Expert:  CriticalCareVet replied 5 years ago.
Without bloodwork - there is no way to KNOW if you need to know vitamin K (aside from the fact we dont know the poison type).

Vomiting should only be induced if the previous vomiting did not result in a clear liquid.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Is there another safest way to induce vomiting?
Expert:  CriticalCareVet replied 5 years ago.
Not over the counter at home.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
which one then?
Expert:  CriticalCareVet replied 5 years ago.
Which one what?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I guess you are telling me that the only other way is to take them to the vet right?
Expert:  CriticalCareVet replied 5 years ago.
There is no other way to induce vomiting at home that is safe or recommended.