CriticalCareVet
CriticalCareVet, ER/ICU Specialist
Experience:  Emergency and Critical Care Specialist
17828336

my female guinea pig is urinating red orange clear liquid.

my female guinea pig is urinating red orange clear liquid. is this her heat cycle or does she need a vet
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  CriticalCareVet replied 5 years ago.
Welcome to JustAnswer! I am a licensed veterinarian and would be glad to help!

Urine color is influenced by many factors in herbivores such as this:

- Diet
- Metabolic wastes (urochromes)
- Hydration status
- Medications

Again, while diet alone can influence urine color in herbivores, typically we recommend a urine sample is evaluated to look for hematuria (red blood cells).

If the urine is normal on evaluation, then the other parts of the urinary tract (such as female reproductive tract) will be considered as the cause.
___________________________________________________________________________________________________
Please click the "GREEN ACCEPT" if the information I have provided has been of help so I receive credit for helping you. Bonuses are always welcome and appreciated.

Once you click accept, your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed.

Please keep in mind that if you do not list all the important information above (medical history, current medications, previous illness, etc) it is harder for me to give you the most complete information.

With this communication - we are here to guide you in making the best decision for your pet. We are not allowed to diagnose and prescribe medications - rather provide a course of action to speak to your veterinarian about - and any medical therapy and treatment should only be performed after an in-person examination with your veterinarian as a professional-client relationship has not been established on the site.

You can always request me through my profile (HERE) or beginning your question with “For CriticalCareVet
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

So does she need to see a vet? What do we need to look for?

Yes - if the urine color continues to be abnormal, a urine sample should be evaluated.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
So there is nothing I can do at home? How urgent is this situation?
With no other signs of illness:

- Activity
- Appetite
- Water intake
- etc

There is no reason to panic and rush to the ER.

There is nothing specific to do at home, as an underlying cause has not been found - which is why an appointment to have this evaluated is recommended.