Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of small animal internal medicine, surgery and preventive medicine.

Help! My cocker spaniel has a chronic ear infection that has

Help! My cocker spaniel has a chronic ear infection that has been cultured and treated with various medications for almost 2 years. He is in pain and going deaf and I am going broke. I have been using flushes, antibotic creams, pills, liquids....nothing works. Is there anything else I can do and is it OK to give him a 82mg aspirin for th e pain?
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 5 years ago.
Hello, I am Dr. Peter a licensed Veterinarian. I would like to help. I need to ask you a few questions to be well informed and give you the best advise. There is no additional charge for information request.

1- What medications is he currently on?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

We just finished 15 days of Primor 600mg daily

plus Triz EDTA flush twice daily followed up 30 mins later massaging Baytril Otic liquid (creXXXXX XXXXX)

plus Prednisone 20mg

....before thisGentamicin otic soln 15 6-8 drops daily

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 5 years ago.
1- How many days since his last prednisone pill?
2- How much does he weigh?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
weighs 38-40 lbs and is on heartworm preventice....once monthly
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 5 years ago.
If he is doing so poorly and unresponsive to medical treatment I would recommend you speak to your vet about doing a surgery called total ear canal ablation; the ear canal is removed and will not need anymore treatment.
As far as aspirin the dose is 5-10mg per pound body weight every 12 hours. His dose would be between 200-400mg every 12 hours. If he is on Prednisone he should NOT go on aspirin. Do not start the aspirin if he is on Prednisone. Try not to keep him on aspirin for more than a week as it can cause gastrointestinal irritation.

Hope the above helps, if you have additional questions I will be glad to answer them.

Dr. Peter
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

My vet has explained the ear canal ablation.....unfortunately, the dog had a complete tear of his ACL and damaged meniscus this summer. We spent over $3000 on surgery, etc and don't have it in our budget (retired) for ear surgery this year.

Is there any other series of antibiotics, anything holistic, allergy/food etc that just might help?

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 5 years ago.
As far as food allergy, it could play a role in chronic ear infection. You could change his diet to a hypoallergenic diet like Hill's z/d. This is a prescription food that does not cause allergies; made with special protein. Your vet should carry this food. When doing a food trial he should only be on the prescription food and should not eat anything else. I recommend to give veggies as treats (baby carrots, broccoli, cauliflower, etc.). Keep him on this diet for no less than 8 weeks and see if there is a difference.

You can do the following:
1- Mix in a cup alcohol and white vinegar and use this an ear cleaning solution. Clean the ears twice a day with this solution. After the infection is under control, continue using the solution to clean the ear every other day.
2- Use topical medication according to the culture and sensitivity results.