Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in large and small animal medicine.
16881297

What homeopathic supplements are safe to give cats with feline

What homeopathic supplements are safe to give cats with feline herpes virus; and in what doses; and for how long should a particular supplement be given.

Currently, I am a "foster" mom to 2 cats with feline herpes virus. Vets gave good "traditional care" of short term course antibiotic/ eye drops (antibacterial) for weepy eyes and Lysine 250 once per day. And dental cleanings.

I have 2 cats of my own, and I was advised not to let the "fostered" cats mix with my own; therefore, I have them in a separate room. I am trying to get them well enough to find new homes.

1 of these cats has just begun taking thyroid meds for hyperactive thyroid; and is severely underweight. She is eating well and appears alert, and grooms herself; uses litter box.

Any advice regarding homeopathic supplements, and any advice in general will be greatly appreciated on how I can help improve the health of these cats.
They are estimated to be between 6 & 8 years old.

Online web sites are recommending goldenseal extract; bee pollen, echinacea. One cat care supplement had goldenseal mixed with garlic for cats (but I read on your website that garlic is unhealthy for cats)

Thank you for any advice.

Sincerely from: XXXXX; Stevensville, Maryland
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 3 years ago.

Good Morning Cat Family and welcome to Just answer. I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

This disease will require an immune stimulant in the form of a holistic material. This virus tends to cause a suppression of their immune system and the addition of any ingredient that will boost their immune system will help these cats...I have used PetAlive C Caps that have been combined with ingredients for this purpose such as Huang Qui, Echinacea, Mistletoe, Milk Thistle, and Cat's Claw. Anything that contains these ingredients will be beneficial....

http://www.nativeremedies.com/petalive/ccaps-natural-antioxidant-dogs-cats.html#tabs

Bee Pollen has also been known to be an immune stimulant.

Good Luck!

Sincerely, XXXXX XXXXX

Dr. Loretta, Veterinarian
Experience: 25 years of experience in large and small animal medicine.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Would the cats take these supplements for a limited time, or take them for the rest of their lives. Also, do they continue to take the lysine. Also, have you found that the supplement you recommended helps to clear up the condition of "weepy" eyes associated with feline herpes virus? Thank you for your assistance.
It is better to use these supplements for life since this condition does not go away....some of my clients use this when they have an outbreak or presence of another condition. Like I said before, this causes an immune suppression and these supplements help. They do not necessarily resolve the symptoms of the Herpes Virus but guard against this becoming more serious.

I would continue the Lysine supplement.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

What is your opinion regarding allowing these cats to mix with own 2 cats.

To date, I have kept them separate. I am concerned that I cannot find new homes for the foster cats (with the feline herpes virus), that I will have to keep them. They are gentle, loving cats, nonetheless, sick. I currently have them locked in a spare room, with food, medicine, water and window view. I and my family spend a great deal of time with them. I am tempted to let them merge within my home, but I have had mixed recommendations from various veterinarians regarding the risk to my own, healthy cats.

Again, thank you.

You can intergrate these cats as along as they have been vaccinated against this disease. Make sure that they have the vaccine and keep them separated for 10 days prior to allowing them together. This vaccine is not 100% effective but will keep most safe against this disease.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

My final question, and thank you so much for your professional time. Regarding the C Caps supplement: It contains echinacea, which one homeopathic website said "lowers blood pressure" when taken for too long. Will this be a problem for cats (with feline herpes virus; especially for the cat who hyperthyroid) if I give it to them as a life-long supplement.

Also, should I be giving the lysine & C Caps to my own 2 healthy cats (as a preventative? - if I merge all 4 cats together) or is that not necessary

Again, I thank you so much for your professional time and courtesy

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

My final questions, and thank you so much for your professional time. Regarding the C Caps supplement: It contains echinacea, which one homeopathic website said "lowers blood pressure" when taken for too long. Will this be a problem for cats (with feline herpes virus; especially for the cat who hyperthyroid) if I give it to them as a life-long supplement.

This side effect from Echinacea is very rare and will not in most every case, cause this high blood pressure even in your hyperthyroid cat....it is not that strong and is considered safe even in compromised cats.

As long as your other cats are vaccinated, there is no need to use the supplements or Lysine...this is only if they would come down with this disease.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Final questions regarding supplements;

some "cat care" web sites recommended giving feline herpes virus afflicted cats "drops" of apple cider vinegar and goldenseal root extract in their food.

Do you recommend this?

Also, one site recommended a product called "Angel Eyes" which appeared to be a supplement made from chicXXXXX XXXXXver extract;

the website said this supplement contained" porphyrins" to help reduce/illiminate the tear staining associated with the weepy eyes of sick cats with herpes virus.

What is your opinion on the above mentioned supplements (apple cider vinegar; golden seal extract, and "Angel Eyes"

Again, I thank you; these are my last questions.

I forgot to clarify them in prior responses.

Our local vets have been kind and professional; however, they are not acquanted with homeopathic remedies, other than lysine supplement. I am very appreciative of your expertise. I will try the C Caps

I feel that adding goldenseal root and vinegar is over kill and that the other supplements will be adequate to guard against problems. I do not recommend these for my clients as long as they are on the Lysine and other supplements. Too many ingredients can cancel each other out.

Angel Eyes is merely for asthetics and will not help as long as other suppplements are being given.

Does that help?
Dr. Loretta, Veterinarian