Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in large and small animal medicine.
16881297

I have two cats that were prescribed doxycycline liquid for

Customer Question

I have two cats that were prescribed doxycycline liquid for upper respiratory infections. The medication had no instructions to keep refrigerated.... 1st day cats show noticeable signs of improvement. 2nd and 3rd day cats are getting worse. I contact vet and explain that the medication turned from yellow to brown.
Now my two cats are hospitalized and I'm fearful that they either had an allergic reaction to this antibiotic as no allergy tests were done prior or the medication itself was harmful due to the fact it was left out of refrigeration for three days. Also the vet were I got the medication told me that the medication was fine after being stored at room temp but everyone else, including her vet tech said it is not good to give them this brown doxycycline. Please advise as I feel this vet I used is not telling me the truth. Thank you.
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 2 years ago.

Good Morning and welcome to Just answer. I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

I would worry about any color change in this medication. This will indicate that the medication has lost its efficacy but does not normally cause any toxicity. the best thing for you to do now is find the manufacturer of this product and call their help line. They should have a doctor well versed in this medication. The package insert also will give you information on this medication.

In my 30 years as a vet, I have never had a cat that had become ill from a medication that had not been refrigerated or that had turned a different color. That is not to say that this did not happen...it is just not in my experience.

Cal the manufacturer of this Doxycycline to know for sure....

Good Luck!

Sincerely, Dr. Loretta

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
So you agree that the medication is ineffective after being stored at room temp and brown? Thus causing my cats to get worse after the first day?
Yes, most likely this color change has caused this medication to be ineffective...I am not sure if this would render this medication toxic to your cats buts effectiveness has definitely been compromised...find the package insert and this should explain this.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I was not given any info with this medication other than to give once daily... Bottle doesn't state manufacurer of product.
then your next step is to find out from the vet what product this is....you have rights and this should be incestigated. I would think your vet would be doing the same to be sure this further illness happening to your cats is not being caused by faulty medication. I cannot tell from what you are describing if the medication has caused further illness or if the lack of effectiveness has caused this...

These are the questions you have to ask this vet and you have a right to know what this medication is and who manufactured this product.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
They are not currently at the same vet the prescribed this medication. When I spoke to the vet she looked into my eyes and told me that the medication was still effective just the flavoring had gone bad- this being the reason for browning... I think she is not telling me the truth. You confirmed that. So what steps should I take if the prescribing vet is acting like they are not at all at fault.
Who oversee's vet medicine? Who would I contact to file a complaint?
The first thing to do is to contact the state Board of Veterinary Quality Assurance....I am in California and this is listed in the yellow pages...it should be the same in your state. I agree that your vet may be covering up something since they have not come up with any proof from the package insert or any information that would back up what they are saying...this is not hard for a vet to find out.

Negligence must be determined by this Board and they are very thorough in their investigation.....

Perhaps ask the vet that told you that the medication was not ineffective to show you proof of this....
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Contacted the vet... Called the manufacturer of the compound and gave them the rx# and was told that these rx numbers are linked to an old human prescription... Called the vet back and told them what the manufacture said and they said they make up their own rx #'s.... Called back the manufacture and they said it is illegal to reassign rx #'s. Called the state board and they want me to contact the dept of health... Did that and left a message.
Something seems very wrong with this whole situation- do you agree?
There had been an old practice in vet clinics to use human products and re lable them....off label uses of products is not legal and it appears that something is very wrong with this situation....

Good for you to follow up....you will now get some answers by stirring things up....please let me know what happens....

I hope your poor cats are ok after all of this!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Left a message for the CEO of the Vet here in Miami beach that dispenced the medication.. Waiting on the vet to hear when the compound was manufactured... But the manufacturer says they sell the vet the liquid form... And not the compound...
Was this medication in a powder form that your vet rehydrated? If it was and the manufacturer only sells this in a liquid form, I would be very suspitious of this medication.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
As I am....
Let me know what this CEO says....

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I'm going to keep calling him until he answers... You been very helpful... I'm not done with you yet!
Good for you! This is very important not only for your precious cats but others also....

I am anxious to hear....
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Spoke to the CEO and he basically flipped out on me and said he does not sell expired drugs. I informed him that I contacted the state board and he became irate with me. Explained the situation and takes no fault on his clinics. He said they get the liquid and dispense in their own bottles and assign rx numbers... The manufacture states they supply them a powder compound. He said take him to court...
WOW! That is very bad behavior for a "manager". It is their job to help and get problems cleared up....without antagonizing clients. You have every right to worry since your cats have become very ill....

You will have to file a complaint with the Board of veterinary Quality Assurance in your state before any attorney can get involved....lets see how they react to this.