Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Veterinarian
Experience:  15 years working as a full time veterinarian

My Dog keeps biting at his behind and tail, he has make it real red and inflamed. I have

My Dog keeps biting at his behind and tail, he has make it real red and inflamed. I have wormed him, he had a flea pill, and I alway keep frontline or advan. on him. He is a minature schnauzer well groomed short hair. What could it be ? I will take him to my Vet. Tuesday...what can I do now!

Hello. Thank you for asking your question on just answer. My name isXXXXX will try to help.

Dogs have anal glands (also called anal sacs) which are located just inside the rectum. If you look carefully directly at the rectum, you can see too tiny drainage hole where the anal gland material is suppose to come out when they defecate.

The purpose of the gland material is to mark their territory, with the scent, when they defecate.

Sometimes these drainage ducts become blocked or do not drain properly. When this happens, the glands fill up and become painful and annoying so the dogs scoot to try and drain them on their own. They chew and lick their hind ends repeatedly.

Some common causes of chronic anal gland problems are allergies which can cause inflammation in the rectal area and not enough fiber in the diet. If they do not have enough fiber, their stools are too soft and the anal gland material does not get pushed out. You can increase the fiber by adding a teaspoon of sugar free metamucil to their food once a day. For allergies, you can use antihistamines such as benadryl or zyrtec. You can try giving him a dose of benadryl. The dose is 1 mg per pound so if he weighs 10 pounds, he would get 10 mg of benadryl every 12 hours.

You can also have him worked up to see what they are allergic to with a blood test.

I recommend you have someone show you how to drain the glands the first time. It does not cost much to go to the vet and have the vet assistant do it.

If you would like to try, put gloves on. Start with a gland on the left or right. The left one is about 7 o'clock and the right one is about 5 o'clock. Put lube on your finer and put your pointer finger in rectum. They feel like grapes to me. You have to stabilize each gland with the finger on the inside and the fingers on the outside. Then gently squeeze like you are milking the material out of it. You should feel the gland get smaller. how to express anal sacs video on how to express anal glands

Baby shampoo would not really help much if fleas were the cause. It may wash the fleas off him that were present at the time of the bath but that would be about it. Then the fleas would jump back on him as soon as he got out of the tub. You need to use monthly frontline or advantage drops if he ever has a flea problem.

I hope this helps.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
He has frontline on him now. What kind of cream can i use on his behind to ease the pain or redness. He is white..i don't see any fleas. ??? The problem seem to be around his butt hole and tail area. He has been wormed too! ???

It is probably his anal glands then. I doubt it is worms or fleas.

You can use hydrocortisone cream on his behind, 4 times a day, for inflammation.

You can use the benadryl too for irritation like I said. 1 mg per pound every 12 hours until you can get him to the vet to get his anal glands drained.