CriticalCareVet
CriticalCareVet, ER/ICU Specialist
Experience:  Emergency and Critical Care Specialist
17828336

Can peanut butter cause diarrhea in dogs I dont give my

Can peanut butter cause diarrhea in dogs?

I don't give my dog peanut butter very often. But yesterday, I totally loaded his kong with peanut butter twice, including once at 8pm, just a couple of hours before he went to bed. Then, he woke me up at midnight and 2am to go have a diarrhea blowout, and he just went diarrhea again. Wondering if I can reasonably attribute it to the peanut butter, or if it's more likely something else.
Welcome to JustAnswer! I am a licensed veterinarian and would be glad to help!

Yes - it is very possible and even likely in your case for peanut butter to cause diarrhea.

I would, for the next 2-3 days, give a bland diet such as chicken (or beef) and white rice.

I hope this information helps!
_____________________________________________________________________
Please click "ACCEPT" if the information I have provided has been of help so I receive credit for my work. Bonuses are always welcome and appreciated. Thank you.
The above is given for information only. Although I am a licensed veterinarian, I cannot legally prescribe medicines or diagnose your pet's condition without performing a physical exam. If you have concerns about your pet I would highly advise contacting your regular veterinarian
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Oops, I meant to hit reply. Thanks for the information. I have two follow-up questions:

1. What is it about the peanut butter that likely caused the diarrhea? The fat? So, is this probably a matter of "overserving"?

2. Why do you recommend that I change up his regular diet to chicken and white rice? I.e., why wouldn't it suffice for me to just stop or reduce the peanut butter?

Thank you!

1) The combination of fat, sugar, and just in general being something different they are not used to eating on an every day basis - similar to why any diet change should be gradual and not abrupt - even dog foods!

2) The chicken and white rice will be bland, an increase in fiber, and help resolve the diarrhea faster!

I hope this information helps!