Ask a Vet and Get Your Veterinary Questions Answered.
Hello, I'm sorry to hear about your pup and I'd like to help.
When did she eat the rat poison?What was the active ingredient in the poison?Have you induced vomiting to get the poison out?
She ate the rat poison about 2 hrs ago,
im not sure about the ingridient
We did not induce vomiting.
What is the name and I'll see if i can find what the active ingredient is.You need to induce vomiting now. Give her 50mls of 3% Hydrogen peroxide orally then take her out and run her around.She needs to get rid of the poison.
50mls is about 3 tablespoons, if no vomiting in 10 to 15 minutes repeat the dose.
Tom Cat brand poison blocks, over the counter.
You can give it directly or with a little canned food.
Give me a sec to see what I can find. Take her outside, give her the peroxide in the meantime.
do we still give the peroxide ? considering we already gave her the activated charcoal as stated in the question.
Yes! Give the peroxide, we need to get as much of the poison out as possible.
We can give activated charcoal later once we've gotten out as much as we can.
The active ingredient is Bromadiolone. It's an anti-clotting super poison.
We read that it's an anti-clotting super poison, and the website said to give activated charcoal.
These are long acting anticoagulents. The effects can last for 30+ days.The first thing to do is induce vomiting, get rid of as much as the poison as possible, then use activated charcoal.And she will need vitamin K-1 for 30+ days.
I am quoting a web - page written for veterinarians on these types of anticoagulent poisons:"...
Some dogs or cats will be presented soon after consuming an anticoagulant rodenticide bait and initially will appear asymptomatic. In these cases, vomiting should be induced immediately, followed by administration of activated charcoal.4 The animal should be placed on oral vitamin K1 at a dose of 2.5-5.0 mg / kg every 24 hours for at least 5-7 days. The OSPT should be checked 2-3 days after the cessation of therapy.4....."The link to the full article if you are interested is:http://www.vet.uga.edu/VPP/clerk/Harrell/index.php
The dose for activated charcoal is 1 gram per 2.2 pounds, so her dose should be 110 divided by 2.2 pounds = 50 grams.The charcoal you have is very low concentrate, she'd need 200 capsules. Repeat in 6 hours.But this is after inducing vomiting. And she needs to see a veterinarian to start vitamin K-1. Don't wait to start it more that 12 or so hours after ingestion or you will likely get cogulation problems.
If you don't have any luck getting her to vomit I would get her to an emergency clinic.
Are you still with me?
do we administer more peroxide first ?
because she wont vomit
You can dose her with peroxide twice. But after that if there's no vomiting then take her to the emergency service. We have medications (apomorphine) that reliably induce vomiting.
how dangerous is it with the charcoal we gave her ?
The charcoal isn't dangerous, and it will block some absorption. I don't know how much you gave her (probably not 200 capsules) so it's probably not enough to do much for her. But we use charcoal as a way to block minute levels of absorption anyway, not as the total treatment.
And whatever she absorbs will interfere with clotting so she really needs follow-up vitamin K-1.
If you absolutely can't get her to emergency tonight then load her up with activated charcoal and get her into your vet first thing in the morning for vitamin K-1 therapy.Not ideal but if it's what you can do then that's the best you can do for her.
how much more charcoal do i give her>
How much have you given her?
the 4 capsules which had 260 mg each
The 4 capsules roughly equal 1.04 grams, about 1/50th of what she needs. 260mg = 0.26grams If she needs 50 grams then she needs 192 capsules of the 260mg size. So she needs 188 more capsules. Repeat in 4 to 6 hours.
If you don't have that much just give her as much as you have and get her in pronto in the morning.
we are going to give her 100, thats all we have.
Then that's all you can do.I can't stress enough though to get her in right away in the morning. The activated charcoal will help but it won't be enough and we want to stop the bleeding before it starts.
Tell your vet what the active ingredient in the toxin was and what you've done.They'll take it from there.
okay, thank you very much for helping. It is greatly appreciated.
Very welcome. Best of luck with your girl. Please let me know how she does.
And make sure to give the Vitamin k for 4 to 6 weeks as your vet directs, this stuff really hangs around.