Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience treating cats, dogs, guinea pigs, hamsters, rats, mice, and iguanas

what to do about red yeast staining around anus - dog is 4-year

what to do about red yeast staining around anus - dog is 4-year old Havanese female, constant itching, inflammation, smaller amy of staining under eyes
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 2 years ago.

Dr. Kara :

Hello, I'm sorry to hear that your pup is itchy and i'd like to help.

Customer:

Thanks...am standing by...

Dr. Kara :

Have her anal glands been checked and emptied. This is a big reason for perianal itchiness.
Are you using excellent flea control (Advantage or Frontline) as Flea allergy dermatitis is another reason for perianal itchiness.
Because she is itchy around the anus and face (eyes) I would be concerned about a food allergy as well.

Dr. Kara :

Diets I'd recommend are Hills Z/d or Purina Veterinary Diets HA. You must make sure she doesn't eat anything else, no flavored treats, medications or bones while she's on her hypoallergenic trial.

Dr. Kara :

Even her heartworm medication must be unflavored.

Customer:

Well, her anal glands haven't been emptied in the last couple of months, but the last time they were, she continued "boot-scooting" and licking the area, seems to make it worse....how often should they be emptied?

Dr. Kara :

It really depends upon the dog. Some never need it done, some need it done monthly. If they are really full and there's any hint of infection or thicker than normal discharge I will sometimes infuse them after I empty them if the dog is very itchy/uncomfortable before I empty them. As the act of emptying them can be an irritant too.

Customer:

She does love a good bone chew! My dogs eat Hills - older dog is on both canned and dry Hills for older diabetic dogs after a severe bout with pancreatitis....they don't eat human food, except for a little baked chicken breast ever once in a while...

Customer:

what does infuse mean?

Dr. Kara :

They have a good diet then, but if she's allergic to a particular protein/carbohydrate in the food then she will be itchy.
And the only way to stop the itch is to stop exposure to the allergen. So it may be that your dogs need to be fed different foods separately.

Customer:

By the way, I have a fresh vial of Mometamax here for a hot spot on older dog's leg....would it help to apply that topically to her anal area?

Dr. Kara :

Infuse means to place a medication (in this case generally panalog which is an anti-inflammatory antiyeast and bacterial ointment) into the empty glands via a curved syringe.

Dr. Kara :

It might help to apply that medication (mometamax) topically as it does have an anti-inflammatory as well as an anti-yeast but we are treating the itch secondarily. With a hypoallergenic diet hopefully we stop the germnination of the itch.

Customer:

OK -will follow up with my vet - thanks you for your time

Dr. Kara :

You are very welcome. Can I answer anything else?

Customer:

Because she is often biting at her toes, is this more probably a grass or mold allergy?....she is rarely outside, but for a few minutes everyday....we live in central Texas

Dr. Kara :

Itchy feet can be related to a food allergy or an inhaled (grass pollens or mold spores are commom, but so are tree pollens). That area overlaps and is affected in both allergic conditions.
So you might try oral antihistamines (benedryl, chlorpheniramine) and an omega 3 fatty acid for those symptoms.
And a quick foot rinse at the end of the day to get rid of allergens might be very helpful, just make sure you dry her feet well.

Customer:

OK - Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX help...have a great day, wherever you are!

Dr. Kara :

You're welcome. You have a great day too. I am in California, not too far from you.

Dr. Kara, Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience: Over 20 years of experience treating cats, dogs, guinea pigs, hamsters, rats, mice, and iguanas