Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in large and small animal medicine.
16881297

My cow has a swollen face on the right hand side about the

My cow has a swollen face on the right hand side about the size of a tennis ball & she has lost weight, i cant get her vet care for another 6 days will she be ok?
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 5 years ago.

Good Morning and welcome to Just answer. I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

This is an abscess which is a pocket of infection due to either a tooth root or a foreign body that has injected bacteria into this area. These are common in cows and will cause lethargy and weight loss because of the pain. The first thing to do is to start her on Penicillin G once daily that can be purchased at the farm supply. The bottle will have dosing directions.

Then, if possible , apply hot compresses to this area every 4 hrs for 3 minutes...this will help to draw this infection to the outside. This will eventually drain pus from this area and when it does flush this with peroxide daily until the pus is gone.. This will not cause her any harm as long as the pus comes out.

Good Luck!

Sincerely, XXXXX XXXXX

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
What happens if the pus doesnt come out? Its going to be 6 days before I can get home to treat her?
These will usually open up all by themselves....it will begin to itch so she will rub it on things until the pressure is relieved by the abscess opening...then she will remove the pus by rubbing on things...

It also helps to apply Ichthamol to this which will draw this to the outside if you can find a friend to treat her before you get home. This can also be purchased at the farm supply.